Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have never ridden a motorcycle, my personal suggestion is:
1. Take the MSF (a motorcycle safety class that results in getting the motorcycle endorsement). This is much easier than trying to get it through the DMV. The class cost ranges from state to state (some places it’s free or cheap, other places it can be like $250). Either way it’s well worth it.
2. Buy some gear. The bare minimum is a helmet, motorcycle jacket, gloves, and some riding boots. You can take it up a safety notch and get leathers, or riding pants, or racing boots, or a back protector (or all of them of course). All it takes is for a cell-phone clad SUV driver to rear-end you and end your life or disable it, so gear up.
3. Read, read, read. This forum (and many others) contains a cornucopia of information that can literally save your life.
4. My recommendation is that a 250 is an excellent starter bike. It’s light, cheap, faster than most cars, great on gas, a blast in the corners, comfortable, and extremely forgiving. You can always resell it when you are ready for a stronger bike (but 90% of people regret selling it because it’s such an awesome bike).

Now, there’s always the debate about getting a 600 as a first bike. Sure, you could do it. I’d say maybe 50% of people out there could handle it. But there is no way to tell if you are one of those people. Plus if you drop that one, you will cry a little more :D The 600’s are less forgiving and tempt you to go faster when you should be more focused on learning control.

The advice here would be viable for anyone (even if they do have some moto experience). I personally think this is one of the best ways to get into the sport. My roommates who skipped this advice both dropped their new 636’s and so have a ton of other people I know. That’s not to say it wouldn’t have happened anyway, but I think it would have helped them.

The above advice is just my opinion. I’d appreciate it if others would chime in for additional opinions and advice.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
My number one suggestion for those who are thinking about getting into motorcycles has already been listed...TAKE AN MSF COURSE FIRST.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thats wats up my dude
basic fundamentals of save riding
i've rode before but not street n just bought a 89 ZX6R
i think i should be alright i also plan on taking the course
its an old bike but still wanna keep looking nice

N

·
0 Posts
he just wanted rep points :p

This should definetly be a sticky. nice choice of words.

here are the cliff notes..lol
1) take an MSF course
2) buy gear: helmet, gloves, jacket, etc...
3) Read this forum and others
4) get a 250 for your starter bike
u know i dont like to read :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I totally agree the MSF course is the best way to learn. It was $280 when I took it 2 years ago. I learned on a 250....my first bike was a 600. If your going to get a 600 as your first bike do what I did get a older model sure you won't look as cool but you also won't be out $$$ if you god forbid drop it or crash it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks

That was some really good advice. I just decided to pick up the sport/hobby/ lifestyle. I was going to ask but after spending time in the web world that I have so much trouble with finding a damn thing I want. Every thing you mentioned just about summed it up. I wish I had known before I got a new ZX6R but I have no regrets and hope to keep her clean and scratch free (keep your fingers crossed for me).

I am already signed up for a course and I am supposed to pick it up before the class but I have always been a jump in and do it kind of guy. I have lots of respect for machines and there ability to kick my ass so I will take it easy (as long as I can :D). I also have most of the gear (leather coat but a riding jacket for summer and gloves etc.) I just wanted again to say thanks for the info I was looking for. Glad I joined the forum and this kawasaki world.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good Info...

My father-in-law and I just bought a couple of '08 zx6r's and plan on taking the course ASAP.

Of course we couldn't resist riding around the block a bit. We did find a big empty parking lot to practice getting a feel for the bikes and how they handle though.
But we did spend plenty of money on some quality gear.

Thanks for the advice, and I plan on reading all I can find!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Soak up the site Ben, it has all the info you need for your bike and more. I would also recommend to take advantage of the group buys, glad to hear you got some quality gear bro!! Ride safe!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have always wanted to have a motocycle but it seems that I have always had too many other expenses that came up. Just this past year with soaring gas prices, I thought, it would be a great time to justify getting a bike. I am not kidding myself really, because just as with any new toy I will end spending a lot of money anyway. Just let me live the dream then ok?

I was all excited about getting a new 07 ninja 250 until I saw the 08's. They look awesome. I know many would suggest me getting a used bike as a beggniner, but I am approaching 37 and am more cautious than most people. I am very respectful for the power of even a 250 for a newbie. The candy plasma blue is calling my name.

I plan on taking the motocycle safety course in the next several weeks, then get my licsence and then off to get my prize.

Is learning to ride very diffuclt?

I love this forum and really appreciate all the knowledge and insight all you guys have to offer.

Thanks so much!!!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Good info. Definitely take advantage of the services and information available today. When I started, numbers 1, 3 and 4 were not available. Back then, most people learned by practicing on an empty parking lot or alongside an experienced rider. Then again, the average bike was a 70 hp UJM which were a lot more forgiving then a modern day SB.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have my very own plasma candy blue on order! MY FIRST BIKE and my first post. the dealer is in contact with kawasaki and as other threads have indicated, this beautiful bike is on backorder. Mine will be arriving the first week of june. As far as the MSF class goes (which i plan to take), would it be wiser for me to take the class with my own bike, risking lying it down, or should i use the ones supplied by the course?

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I have always wanted to have a motocycle but it seems that I have always had too many other expenses that came up. Just this past year with soaring gas prices, I thought, it would be a great time to justify getting a bike. I am not kidding myself really, because just as with any new toy I will end spending a lot of money anyway. Just let me live the dream then ok?

I was all excited about getting a new 07 ninja 250 until I saw the 08's. They look awesome. I know many would suggest me getting a used bike as a beggniner, but I am approaching 37 and am more cautious than most people. I am very respectful for the power of even a 250 for a newbie. The candy plasma blue is calling my name.

I plan on taking the motocycle safety course in the next several weeks, then get my licsence and then off to get my prize.

Is learning to ride very diffuclt?

I love this forum and really appreciate all the knowledge and insight all you guys have to offer.

Thanks so much!!!
okay so heres a little bit of my story, DISCLAIMER: I DON"T HAVE A BIKE AND HAVEN"T RIDDEN A BIKE ON THE ROAD YET, SO DON'T FLAME ME THANKS.

So I turned 16 and 4 months, and decided I wanted a motorcycle. So where I lvie you must take the MSF course at my age. So I went all over youtube watching videos on hwo to use the friction zone, and what not. So after that I labeled the parts of my bicycle that are used on a motorcycle. I then went on the MSF website and took the sample questions.

So it was the day of the course where you learn to ride the motorcycle. I am shaking, since I never ridden a motorcycle in my life. Once I got on, and felt the power and weight of the bike, I was in love. I couldn't wait until we could fire these bad boys up and ride. So we first practiced the friction zone, which is really easy once you get the hang of it. Once you understand the friction zone it's really easy to control the bike. So we then do some really slow maneuvers. Once we did these, I felt very confident. From there on, I mastered everything. I was the best in the class. The only problem is that I got "This isn't a race track" because I went as fast as the bike would let me in 1st gear. So it was time to take the bike to 2nd!! I was like Omg! So he showed us how, and the first time, I messed up really really bad! Instead of letting out the gas and pulling in the clutch, I gunned it and put it into second making the bike jerk! Scared the shit out of me, and taught me a good lesson. The hardest thing is one of the easiest. It is called the figure 8 (slow maneuver), once you master the rear brake and clutch control it's a piece of cake. The instructors are great! The only problem was the woman in the class, they refused to go faster then 10mph, and he would yell "Speed up" and woddle his hands, but they just refused!

Anyways, learning to ride is not really acquired in the MSF course, it's experience, the more you ride, the more you learn.

Wow my fingers hurt :(

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I would go ahead and take it on their bike, we had three people drop their bike when I took the class, I would rather drop the schools bike than my brand new one. You will most likely learn your bike pretty quickly, the 250 is an ideal bike. Maybe later go back and do an Intermediate or Advanced Rider Training class with your bike. Good luck and ride safe!

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would go ahead and take it on their bike, we had three people drop their bike when I took the class, I would rather drop the schools bike than my brand new one. You will most likely learn your bike pretty quickly, the 250 is an ideal bike. Maybe later go back and do an Intermediate or Advanced Rider Training class with your bike. Good luck and ride safe!
:plusone:

If you took your bike it may make you more nervous for fear of scratching the paint and what not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A few weeks ago, I bought a 2008 250R and absolutely love it. I got flamed by all of my friends because they are all on 500cc or more, but I do not regret my decision. I unfortunately did not know about this forum until a couple of days ago, but the dealership took great care of me and gave me the same advice as this thread. I will be taking the next safety course offered, but for the time being I am simply taking advice from more advanced riders. I plan on buying a ZX-6R next summer as a little 21st birthday present to myself. I figure by that time, I will have the basics down and the skill to handle the extra power.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Great post joonya, it won't let me rep you, I must have gave you some rep already for some other posts. Anyhow..I will get back to you on this...once again, great post.

BC...you got rep for making it simple for the simpletons...LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have just purchased a brand new ninja 250. I live in hawaii and I got the last black one untill september. Although i have no street riding exp. I have ridden recreationally in the dirt on 250's . My bike is still being put togther as we speak. My concern is that i havent ridden in like 12 yrs so iam a we bit nervous about my ability to ride confidently now n e 1 here have any input

1 - 20 of 212 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.