Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 212 Posts

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have just purchased a brand new ninja 250. I live in hawaii and I got the last black one untill september. Although i have no street riding exp. I have ridden recreationally in the dirt on 250's . My bike is still being put togther as we speak. My concern is that i havent ridden in like 12 yrs so iam a we bit nervous about my ability to ride confidently now n e 1 here have any input
If you have some dirt experience, you should have no prob getting reacquainted. Don't be nervous....be safe. Gear up and practice in an empty parking lot (assuming you've taken or are going to take a safty class)

Have fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks for the advice i have since picked up the bike. I did a couple of laps in the parking lot and it all came back to me. But i do have to say street riding is very different than dirt. I took the bike home from the dealership. still enduring the break in period ugh... But you should be glad to know that even i've had riding exp i still signed up for the safety class

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey all, I just wanted to thank all of you that have posted great stuff on riding and what to watch out for. I have a bunch of friends that ride and give advice, and one pointed me to this site, never imagining what it contained. I should be picking up my bike this week and will be taking the next MSF course available. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have only owned dirt bikes and cant wait to get my first street but I am sure everyone can agree on this. The first time you don't respect a machine for what it can do is when it can kill you. I lost a good friend on his first street bike which was a 600 3 weeks after he got it and if he would have thought of this by going a few more miles down the road he may be here still today. It was at night, a minivan was making a left turn and never saw him coming since he was going way to fast for the road he was on. It was a 4 lane street with a center turn lane. Split second decisions can mean life or death at any speed so respect the bike and the environment you ride in. Be smart where you decide to open it up to show a friend what it can do or any other reason before you make a life or death mistake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 03 zx6r about a month ago, I had never rode anything other than a scooter or nothing with a clutch on it. I love it, this is the most fun I've ever had, my friend tried to get to buy a 250 and I'm so glad I didn't.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I just bought a 03 zx6r about a month ago, I had never rode anything other than a scooter or nothing with a clutch on it. I love it, this is the most fun I've ever had, my friend tried to get to buy a 250 and I'm so glad I didn't.
Ok, one month is nothing to brag about. Come back in Aug 2010 and let us know then how everything went.

My point is if you do decide to get a bigger bike, just be careful...."them thangs bite"

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ok, one month is nothing to brag about. Come back in Aug 2010 and let us know then how everything went.

My point is if you do decide to get a bigger bike, just be careful...."them thangs bite"
:plusone: what he said, your not even half way through the most dangerous period for a new rider. I differ and say come back next year, same time and let us know how swell things went.

·
Registered
6 Posts

who's braggin , I just expected the bike to have that o'shit I just wet myself speed. In my opinion it's fast, but not anything a new rider who's careful couldn't handle. The other thing in my case was I'm 6'2 and the 250 just felt small to me.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
who's braggin , I just expected the bike to have that o'shit I just wet myself speed. In my opinion it's fast, but not anything a new rider who's careful couldn't handle.
Even if you are careful, it is still easy to have it bite you in the ass. A 250 is 100 times more forgiving than any supersport out there. Good throttle control and developing the proper reactions to panic situations is something that takes longer than a month or two to learn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not saying I'm an expert. I'm just glad I didn't buy a 250. To me the 636 is just right not to fast not to slow. What worries me the most is being rear ended, or a car side swiping me. Which could easily happen on a 250, not losing control of my bike and wiping out that way

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
What worries me the most is being rear ended, or a car side swiping me. Which could easily happen on a 250, not losing control of my bike and wiping out that way

Not trying to flame you outright... but that could happen just as easy on your 6...

·
Registered
6 Posts
flame me???? what is that, you just said my point anything can happen anytime, 250 or 636. All I'm saying is I like my 6 and am glad I didn't buy a 250.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
All I'm saying is I like my 6 and am glad I didn't buy a 250.
That's great...but then it has less purpose in this thread if that's all you were trying to say. I'm glad I got my 250 first and then my 636, but that doesn't mean anything to a new rider, ya know?

21 - 40 of 212 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.