Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alot of good info here, But being my size, the 250 didnt feel right (6'5 210lbs) So i opted to just step up to a 650 and take it easy, I am taking my MSF course in mid july, but i went ahead and bought my bike, so i can fiddle with it and have it the way i want it when i can actually ride it. I'm sure i'll be around alot, seems like a cool place here!

·
Registered
153 Posts
4. My recommendation is that a 250 is an excellent starter bike. It’s light, cheap, faster than most cars, great on gas, a blast in the corners, comfortable, and extremely forgiving. You can always resell it when you are ready for a stronger bike (but 90% of people regret selling it because it’s such an awesome bike).
Hello everyone. This is my first post! I had my first ride on a motorcycle last summer. I loved it but unfortunately I don't know anyone I can ride with. I finally got fed up and signed up for a course just to get more riding time. I started shopping around and ended up buying a ninja 250 and was really contemplating a 500. I'm glad to hear your advice! Any advice anyone is willing to give me is appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My $0.02

Finally bought my first motorcycle ever (09 Ninja 250) and have been riding it in neighborhoods for 2 weeks now. I take my MTC class this weekend. (Grew up on dirt bikes). Serious note, never let anyone push you past your comfort zone. I have friends that ride "real man" bikes (1000cc) and they always think I'm a "p*ssy" for getting a 250. I stopped hanging out with them. Never give into peer pressure on a bike. Even if you are riding in a group do not go past your comfort zone to be "cool." Its about the experience and joy of being on a bike and if anyone flames your for being on a smaller bike, then I personally feel that they are not a true motorcycle lover. I'm in a college town and so I take a lot of crap from "friends" and random people on the road about being on a 250.

Buy as much gear as possible. I had a friend lose a leg last year because he was wearing shorts and shoes and the road rash was so damaging they had to remove his right leg 3 inches about the knee.

I look at it this way, you look cooler in one piece then in pieces on the side of the road.

Practice, practice, practice. Sorry for the long post needed to vent about the egos some people have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I never rode a bike before, only as a passenger, but I just bought a 03 ninja 500r. I am taking the Safety Course, and trying to get my permit with in the next week. I'm excited, but a little nervous :rolleyes: We'll see how it goes....

·
Registered
70 Posts
well im getting my first bike friday 09 ninja 250r but since im in the military i have to take the msf course but i agree its a really good idea everyone should take it and i got all my smart equiptment ie. helmet gloves jacket boots

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright i've read almost this whole forum trying to be clear about the msf class. in 2005-2007 i was racing motocross on a 250f and have ridden every other size bike. As far as I can tell, msf class sounds like it teaches you how to use the clutch and turn... is it even worth going? am I overestimating myself? and how does the license thing work... I am getting a bike in november and yall are mentioning permits and stuff... is this like a drivers permit for 3 months or can I take the msf class and then go straight to getting a license? :confused: On the same note, I have ridden 450 four strokes and 250 2 strokes and what not, street and track. I plan on getting a 600...Good or Bad idea? I dont want to buy a 250 and wanna resell it in 3 months

·
Registered
27 Posts
i took the MMTC(Midwest Motorcycle Training Course) in olathe's great mall of great plains, it was 190$ bucks but i got an endorsemnt on my insurence and got a full liecense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great advice Joonyaboy, thank You!
I just finished my MFS course, cost me $250, money well spend.
Would recommend to anyone! Will help You later on the road (may even save
Your life). As a motorcycle rider, and as a car driver, even as a professional
truck driver, such as my self (20+ years) You'll learn something new every time
in the class room...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm planning on taking the "BRC" (as it's called here in Ohio) in a couple weeks. Not only is it only $20 here, but my insurance gives a $60 deduction per year for taking the course - so it pays for itself and then some, not to mention the added experience.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i agree with all of that...however i got a 05 636 as a starter bike but i got an amazing deal on it so it was worth it... i been racking up the milage on it too

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took the MSF course and now I laugh at the videos on you tube when someone is teaching their friend how to ride a bike and the person crashes immediately. That doesn't happen in class. So i followed most of the rules but my first bike is a 99 zx7r.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is too funny that you suggest these things because this is exactly what I did!

Good advice though, too many people with no experience think they have what it takes to jump on a Ninja ZX-10 when they don't. Then they end up grease stains...

121 - 140 of 212 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.