Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I totally agree with the original post. Hubby had been riding for a long time, and got a new 14. Both of us bought the best gear we could afford and we refuse to ride without any of it.

When I decided I wanted to 'woman up' and learn to ride my own, he wanted me to go ahead and get the bike I 'really want' so that we wouldn't have to buy two bikes for me. I knew if I got on a 'bigger bike' and scared myself one time, I would never ride again, even if I didn't do anything stupider than drop it. So I convinced him to buy my current 250. I am SOOOO glad I did. Bought it used and slightly bumped around already.

First day out, first time on it, I dropped it. I'm short (5'2') with very short legs to boot, so it didn't take much for me to get off balance. I also knew the 250 wouldn't get away from me if I hit a bump and goosed it a bit. I just played it safe for a year.

And I LOVE the Safety Course! As soon as hubby got his, we took the Advanced Course, and I rode as a passenger. I learned a TON that way, and that's when I really decided I wanted my own. Took the Beginning Rider course almost exactly a year ago, and have never looked back.

Start slow, gear up, and take the Safety Course. You truly won't regret it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question

Hi, I am a newbie and have a question about purchasing my first bike. I went to the dealer yesterday and was looking at the 250r 2009. I am planning on buying one when I get my tax return in January. I dont have a garage or a shed. Does anyone know if I pay for it will they hold it there in the store till spring. Is there a holding fee and how much is it? Also I cant get a loan that is why I am waiting for taxes. I have already taken the MSF course. It was a blast and then I went to the DMV and got my ML. Also if they sell the bike I want, can I go to another state and purchase, or does that get expensive?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbie - first post

Hi Everyone!

Newbie here...took the motorcycle safety course last year, rode a little on my hubby's older bike (Honda GL500) but it has mechanical problems, so I was ride-less this summer (wah!).

Looking for my first bike - currently looking at a Ninja 500R for sale at a local dealer. Hubby rides a Road King - he's ready for it, I'm definately NOT. He's been riding for over 20 years.

Tried to teach me to ride many, many years ago - on the Honda...did okay tooling through our subdivision (early in the day, no traffic) until I had to come to a complete stop. Rotated the right hand down (which is the throttle hand, duh) and I rocketed off the line into a neighbor's yard and laid the bike down. Not too much damage to the bike, but I was afraid to try again and stayed a passenger until last summer.

The safety course was a blast - classroom work the first half-day, riding the second day (I had a street-off-road hybrid) and testing the third day. Slow speed maneuvers were a bit tough, but I passed!

Now looking for my first bike - as I said above, looking at either a Ninja 500R or a Vulcan 750. Glad to find the forum! :D

P.S. Found a ZX1100 on Ebay at a really good price - hubby says absolutely NOT for me...I think I'll take his advice after reading through some of the posts here! :eek:

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
If you're looking at cruising the 500 is a reasonable first bike, although not ideal. If you want to learn how to ride sports bikes, and learn to ride them properly, then a good 250 wil make you a far better rider than most of those who start on bigger bikes.

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Haha thanks :p I have my dirtbike and raced before and just messed around at the track ;D But now I'm waiting towards christmas to buy a Kski ex250!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My first bike was a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6RR. It's not bad as long as you don't push it cuz this beast can pull. It's pretty heavy for I am a short Filipino. -_-; I recommend taking MSF Course for it not only will save your life but give you learning on bikes as well. It will also give you a 10% discount on your Insurance too. It's the only thing that's kicking my ass sadly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i got my bike 2009 ninja 250 in may 2009 i had to wait a month until i did my msf in june it was a killer month long wait. had a great summer on my first bike got super bummed when it was all over and i was getting really comfortable with riding my 250 and pushing it towards its limits a little more. snow is the enemy come on spring i cant wait to get back on

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree 100% with this thread, as I myself am a certified coach with the MSF. The class is extremely fun and you can learn alot of excellent techniques, whether your riding a cruiser or a sportbike you can apply anything and everything from that class to your riding style.

·
Registered
135 Posts
well here in PA its free and its not mandatory. you can just take the road course and pass that way. I know in SOME states its mandatory. I can't imagine a $250 course being mandatory. I would look into it.

Since in PA its free and successfully completing it gets you an automatic license FREE well yeah I am going to do it :)
The MSF makes a big difference and it's awesome that it's free in PA! I had already been riding for a few months when I took it, but it helped me to drop a few dangerous habits that I taught myself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would never get a 600 as my first bike. Personally I think that's crazy but I have heard of people being successful with it. But those are usually the type of people who are super safe and go slow and steady. Like this girl I saw learning on her boyfriend's 600. She was going around the parking lot slow and steady. It looked like she was doing very well. But for most people, ones ego can get the better of them. I would never even learn on a sport back. It's going to get dumped some time. Let the old fun dirt bike get dumped on the trail then move on to a sport bike once you know how to shift. But that's just my opinion.

I'm doing something right now I should have done a long time ago when I started, learning defensive driving techniques. Everyone would be better off learning them. You can be the safest driver in the world but if you can't do your best to avoid other's negligent mistakes then you could end up in the hospital anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree 100% with this thread, as I myself am a certified coach with the MSF. The class is extremely fun and you can learn alot of excellent techniques, whether your riding a cruiser or a sportbike you can apply anything and everything from that class to your riding style.
The great thing about the Marine Corps is that it is mandatory, but because it IS mandatory it is also free. We try to make sure that our young/inexperienced riders gain a great riding foundation before they get on the roads. I took it in 06 and hadn't really touched a bike in several years. Just got my first last week and am looking at taking it again just so I can get the refresher.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would never get a 600 as my first bike. Personally I think that's crazy but I have heard of people being successful with it. But those are usually the type of people who are super safe and go slow and steady. Like this girl I saw learning on her boyfriend's 600. She was going around the parking lot slow and steady. It looked like she was doing very well. But for most people, ones ego can get the better of them. I would never even learn on a sport back. It's going to get dumped some time. Let the old fun dirt bike get dumped on the trail then move on to a sport bike once you know how to shift. But that's just my opinion.

I'm doing something right now I should have done a long time ago when I started, learning defensive driving techniques. Everyone would be better off learning them. You can be the safest driver in the world but if you can't do your best to avoid other's negligent mistakes then you could end up in the hospital anyway.

not ENTIRELY true... i learned on a 07zx6r and i've done fairly well. the untrue part is about those people being slow and steady ;) ... i drove like a fucking idiot in my gti before i got the bike... i just didn't feel very eager to become an amputee... as someone and the OP stated, the MSF course helps and did help a LOT.

ride safe and ride smart. you can probably get yourself whatever bike you want. just make sure YOU want it and you DON'T want to die, or lose a limb or four. :buzzsaw:

·
Registered
467 Posts
The great thing about the Marine Corps is that it is mandatory, but because it IS mandatory it is also free. We try to make sure that our young/inexperienced riders gain a great riding foundation before they get on the roads. I took it in 06 and hadn't really touched a bike in several years. Just got my first last week and am looking at taking it again just so I can get the refresher.
The hands-on riding / test at the end really really really helps more than the first day of b.s. reading, although we had a funny instructor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took the MSF class a little over 3 years ago - it was so good I actually think it should be required for all drivers - motorcycle and car...I feel it helped me be more aware of motorcyclists and I'm a safer car driver from taking the course. As others have said it also takes 10% off your insurance premium (car too) for 3 years so it more than paid for itself.

Just now getting around to getting my first bike and think I may take the course again as a refresher and also need to re-up my insurance discount! :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Awesome advice. I have to say that I read these forums for pointers/advice and got as much information that I could before I started riding and I'm so glad that I did. I actually completed the entire checklist and have no regrets. I also just upgraded to a gsxr 600, but I did keep the 250 because it was/is fun to knock around with.

141 - 160 of 212 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.