Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wonder is that when you put a swing arm extension on your bike you will need to update chain length and brake line length.

I would like to know what everyone else is paying for this up grade and where they are getting it done at.

Now when you stretch it are you going to slam it or do you simply have to for the looks. Is it looks or performance. Now when you decide, how much is it going to cost you?

When you slam and stretch it are there anything else that you need to Like a wider tire or different sprocket.

Oh and the bike is getting a turbo now.

Let me know

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
When you stretch the rear wheel out, the bike will then sit higher, so to counteract this, people put on lowering links (or dogbones as some call them) to get the seat height where they want it. Stretching and slamming is only done to keep the front wheel on the ground while being able to put as much ass into your launch as possible. People who set their bikes up like that and don't go to the track only do it for looks. Yeah it looks pretty cool, but a sportbike is made to lean. To each, his own of course. I just feel riding a stretched bike around town and whatnot is uncomfortable and pointless. You have to muscle the thing into turns, and on top of all that, it's expensive to buy all the crap you need in order to do it. But anyways, if you stretch the bike and don't lower it back down with the lowering links, it'll look stupid and ride like total crap. You won't need a wider tire as far as I know. My buddy runs his GSXR1000 drag bike on the standard 190 rear tire, and he's had no problem. The longer chain will put a bit more stress on the engine, so unless you're drag racing, you won't need a different sprocket size. I'm assuming of course you're thinking of stretching a 1000cc bike or bigger. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
that shit is all personal preference man.. if you boost, you'll want the stretch and slam for the traction and to keep the wheelies from happening.. lowering and tretching doesn't always help tho.. but.. it depends on the suspension setup. i got a buddy who stunts a gixxer 1K with a 240 tire and it's lowered. i can clutch my 7R up and rock nice wheelies.. i am boosting soon, and i'll be stretching.. but thats for high-speed stability as i'm building it for land-speed when i boost.

most cats do the shit for cosmetics anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When you stretch the rear wheel out, the bike will then sit higher, so to counteract this, people put on lowering links (or dogbones as some call them) to get the seat height where they want it. Stretching and slamming is only done to keep the front wheel on the ground while being able to put as much ass into your launch as possible. People who set their bikes up like that and don't go to the track only do it for looks. Yeah it looks pretty cool, but a sportbike is made to lean. To each, his own of course. I just feel riding a stretched bike around town and whatnot is uncomfortable and pointless. You have to muscle the thing into turns, and on top of all that, it's expensive to buy all the crap you need in order to do it. But anyways, if you stretch the bike and don't lower it back down with the lowering links, it'll look stupid and ride like total crap. You won't need a wider tire as far as I know. My buddy runs his GSXR1000 drag bike on the standard 190 rear tire, and he's had no problem. The longer chain will put a bit more stress on the engine, so unless you're drag racing, you won't need a different sprocket size. I'm assuming of course you're thinking of stretching a 1000cc bike or bigger. Hope that helps.
You have to be very very good driver to feel any difference at all after stretching the bike. You may feel a difference on the track, but in the city, feels same as stock bike. It probably depends on the swingarm extensions, but at least my LRC ones did not change bike height almost at all, so no need to install lowering links. I'll probably try to lower my bike a bit, but only in the case I can't improve traction through suspension anymore.

If you are installing turbo, stretch is a must.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i agree to each his own on the set up but when you str/slam would you keep factory spring.

What is your preference of manufacture of lowering kit are there options. How many inches would you drop a 636

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
You have to be very very good driver to feel any difference at all after stretching the bike.
Unless you're talking like only a 1" or 2" strech, I'd say you'd have to be a very very BAD "driver" to NOT feel a difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
are you serious?
Yes, as you can't go any faster than 30-40mph in the city anyway. I'm not speaking about track days etc... but about driving in the city.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I guess if all you do is drive around town it probably doesn't matter. And you bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess if all you do is drive around town it probably doesn't matter. And you bought the wrong bike.
Wrong bike? Don't think so. It's ideal bike(636cc) for everyday rides and for going once-twice a month to drag strip - matter of taste :)

To topic author:
If you just want to stretch it, then:
swingarm extension - 300-400$
new 140 links chain - 200-220$
new extended brake hose - 80-100$

and that's it. I bought most of the parts from NYCParts and ofcourse Ebay.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Wrong bike? Don't think so. It's ideal bike(636cc) for everyday rides and for going once-twice a month to drag strip - matter of taste :)

To topic author:
If you just want to stretch it, then:
swingarm extension - 300-400$
new 140 links chain - 200-220$
new extended brake hose - 80-100$

and that's it. I bought most of the parts from NYCParts and ofcourse Ebay.
Yeah, I guess if you are going to drag race it it makes sense, nothing wrong with that.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet rear brake gone now should I look in to getting a different rear spring and what about sprockets will be running a turbo 636 mostly on street but track day are a plus

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
They were kidding about ditching the rear brake.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hey on my bike its extended 10 inchs with a 240 wide tire. for looks only. no drag racing or anything like that. actually my bikes pretty damn slow lol. i had to get a longer rear brake line so the rear brake would reach the resivor. sprocket wise i had to get a front offset sprocket to pull the chain closer to the frame rail so it would stay inline to the rear sprocket. if your running your stock wheel/tire setup you dont need a offset front sprocket. the rear sprocket is up to you on how many teeth you want to go up or down but you will need to lenghn up your chain accoringly. most custom bike shops can get you an extended chain and you can get it to as many links as you need. i think my chain is 160 links. its a 530 chain and sprocket. im actually looking around to find a 525 chain/ sprockets because i have clearance issues and need a smaller chain. even with my air ride in the rear and the stretch i can still take the bike hot around turns. it does get a lil wobbly at times so i make sure i know the terrain before i get a little ballzy and i mean a little ballzy the bike isnt intended for nothing serious

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no thats cool RACIN JASON i understand there are some duds here this thread has been pretty good alot of useful info.

INKED OUT sounds like you have a good looking bike do you have pictures. I am wondering to stay with stock tire width only because i am not sure if it looks right proportionally with the the stretch. You say you stretch 10 inches, that is quite a bit i was thinking like 4-6 inches on my 636

I have another question about slamming the bike. I get the lowing link in the rear but for the front what other option do i have opposed to the ratchet straps in the front. What long term harm is put on the shocks if any.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
no thats cool RACIN JASON i understand there are some duds here this thread has been pretty good alot of useful info.

INKED OUT sounds like you have a good looking bike do you have pictures. I am wondering to stay with stock tire width only because i am not sure if it looks right proportionally with the the stretch. You say you stretch 10 inches, that is quite a bit i was thinking like 4-6 inches on my 636

I have another question about slamming the bike. I get the lowing link in the rear but for the front what other option do i have opposed to the ratchet straps in the front. What long term harm is put on the shocks if any.
you can lower the front by slidein the forks up through the tripple trees... i have my 636 setup like this with the rear lowered and she handel nicely, here is a pic of my 636 when i had it stretch & lowered

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts