Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody please tell me the mechanics of an ignition advancer, ie: what does it do? I've done a search already and coulnd't find what its purpose is. TIA!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The advance curve on your bike is contolled by a black box. It is triggered by a rotor that attaches to the end of the crank on the right side under that little cover. An advancer replaces that rotor with one that has the little tab or tabs rotated a few degrees so that the whole advance curve is moved up. It will usually improve the midrange a little but will probably require you to use higher octane fuel if you are using regular unlead now. It is cheap, simple and easily reversible. Factory Pro makes them in adjustable and fixed models.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
what are the different brands and how much do they differ in performance?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I called factory pro this week on the telephone to find out when they might have a ignition advancer for the 03' models, he said he wastn sure but they were working on it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
One of the bike mags (SportRider?) installed one on a pre-03 6R in a shootout betwene the new 03 and the previous gen 6R. They did a bunch of other stuff too, but they seemed to have good results with it. I think the guy who owned the 6R actually logged on here a few times, he's from California I think???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.