Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a crashed 2006 ZX6R that's in good condition except for the electrical problem. Every time I turn on the engine stop switch, the ignition and ecu fuses blow. I checked all the wiring and I didn't see anything that could cause a short. One thing I noticed though is that when I turn the ignition to on, I don't hear the fuel pump priming up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a chance to buy a bunch of 10A fuses today. I tried disconnecting the fuel pump, fuse still blows. I disconnected the 10-wire relay (ecu, pump and starter) and fuse still blows. Any other place I should look at?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it's a direct short from the battery. I could turn the ignition key to on and the tach would lit up and initialize. It's when I turn the start/stop engine switch. ECU is 15A but I don't need to put one yet until the ignition fuse is fixed or else I'll be wasting 2 fuses every time I do a test.

side question, shouldn't the fuel pump prime up when you turn the ignition key to on? I don't hear anything. thanks for your replies. i appreciate it.

·
Powerhungry
38,146 Posts
I don't think it's a direct short from the battery. I could turn the ignition key to on and the tach would lit up and initialize. It's when I turn the start/stop engine switch. ECU is 15A but I don't need to put one yet until the ignition fuse is fixed or else I'll be wasting 2 fuses every time I do a test.

side question, shouldn't the fuel pump prime up when you turn the ignition key to on? I don't hear anything. thanks for your replies. i appreciate it.
so its only when you flip the kill switch on?

if u turn the key ON, while the switch is off...the pump wont prime. the exhaust valve will cycle.

ok, i reread it...so, its not the pump..but, its the wriing TO the pump.

**turn switch on, then turn key on, pump primes.

** turn switch off, turn key on, pump DOESNT prime, turn switch on, pump STILL DOESNT prime.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My thought would be the wiring from the kill switch........but you said all the wiring was fine. But even if it were the pump or wiring to the pump it shouldn't blow the ECU fuse. I think its the wiring from the kill switch ....(also check the black jumper thing located behind the mid fairing on the right side on the main wiring harness - has red and green wire, is on main harness right next to the right turn signal adapter..........if you unplug the little black connector [not the square on clear] your bike can't start at all) hard to explain..........but the dealer had to replace it cause it kept blowing my main ECU fuse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i did some more troubleshooting. I checked the resistance between the red wire (coming from the 6-wire connector that connects to the kill switch) and the chassis and it is shorted. I checked the diagram and this red wire routes to the relay, the smaller connector to the ECU and the spark plugs. I've already disconnected the relay earlier and fuse still blows. I tried disconnecting the ECU connector, checked for resistance and the short is gone. So I put a new fuse and tested the kill switch... and bam, there goes the culprit. Now, I don't know if something inside the ECU is shorting it or what. I hope the ECU is not busted coz this is gonna be an expensive replacement.

Btw, which ECU connector is for the exterior components?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If its the ECU that is an easy fix. I've got one for ya real cheap. But I believe the right connector contains the wires heading to the Kill switch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked all the wires and they look clean. Not even dirt or grease on the connectors. I also took the kill switch apart just to make sure that there are no kinked wires. The black connector that you are talking does not go to the switch. I think it's some sort of a jumper for something. I took the jumper off and didn't do anything.

So how much do you want your ECU for? Btw, how often do they go bad on ZX6Rs? and what would cause it to go bad?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for archival and informational purposes, i'd like to report that the ECU was the problem. I already replaced it and the bike starts but with another problem which I wrote in my other post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts