Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I really need some advice on this one, my ignition lock is jammed. At first I thought it's the weather because it's cold it could've froze etc, pouring boiling water onto it fixed it before. However this time I think it's different, the key does not go all the way in - it stops 95% of the way in and of course I can't turn it because it isn't all the way in.

I have tried WD40, moving the bars and using a different key. Oh and what's worse is that it's in steering lock. What are my options? I can't unscrew the ignition switch because the screws are bolted in. I could drill but I can't get in there because it's an awkward angle. I don't think I can take the yoke off either because the steering lock won't let it come off.

What should I do?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further examination, it seems that something (internal) is blocking the key at the bottom of the barrel, which I assume is part of the lock and is meant to move out of the way when the key is inserted. Perhaps a broken spring or pin.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
This happened to me with my key inside the ignition. I couldn't get it to off to get the key out, and I was out on a ride with my wife and needed gas. I ended up breaking the ignition and was able to get the key out, but I couldn't turn my bike off.

I ended up having to buy a new (used) upper triple clamp along with a new gas cap and rear seat lock. That was a pain in the ass to replace!

·
Registered
737 Posts
You could try using graphite powder but if its an internal mechanism (for me it was the steering lock mechanism) then you'll probably have to replace it. OR if you wanted to, you could carry around a piece of coat hanger and manually push back the mechanism every time you wanted to take out your key. LOL. I did it for a while but it was too annoying... I ended up replacing the ignition, gas cap and rear seat lock

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had this issue for years. You need to put the key in the ON position, then give it a quick FLICK to the off position. You really have to master the FLICK, and it will be effective every time. You will also be able to get it into the LOCK position using this method also..

·
Registered
41 Posts
you gotta loosen the top of the tree lift it up and unscrew the ignition and remove it as you lift the tree you can then rekey the old ignition or just bypass it completely i would just dissasemble lock mechanism and clean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts