Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well so the other day I rolling down the highway and hit a bump (a pretty good size one to say the least) most of the impact was absorbed by the back tire. After hitting the bump my bike shutdown. After I got my self across 3 lanes of traffic and still rolling I tried restarting the bike, no good. I hit the emergency cut off switch off,then,on hit the ignition and it started. Now I would think that this is saying that maybe the damn switch is going bad. "ANYONE AGREE". Just trying to get some other opinions. I know also that the 2000/2001's had problems of the same nature. If anyone has some insite please let me know.

I can be emailed directly at [email protected] or you can just post back here. Thanks.
[^]:([^]:([^]:([^]:([^]:([^]:([^]:([^]:([^]:([^]:(

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the cutoff switch has to be closed in the run position then it is possible, although unlikely, for a 'good' switch to open when jarred severely. (This is similiar to switch bounce.) I would think Kawasaki engineers would have spec'd a switch to take anything you'd see under normal conditions. Might take it to your dealer and suggest they run through the electrical system and find the problem. They most likely won't want to do this unless you can duplicate the problem for them. (intermitent problems are the most difficult/time-consuming to find.) Just remind them that losing power while riding is a life threatening condition. Wish you luck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think this bike has a fall over switch which cuts out the fuel injection in the event of a crash. The bump could have been big enough to activate it and cut the engine. The engine kill switch would have reset it....possibly. [?]

·
Registered
36 Posts
do you have an alarm fitted? datatool alarms in the UK have had problems on the zx6 with cutting out the engine due to the immobiliser cutting in. they have got as fix for it i believe. also if a power commander and some alarms are fitted together it can cause problems with cutting out the engine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have a power commander but no alarm. I guess I will try to take it in and see if they will run a diagnostic on it. I appreciate the info let me know if you or anyone you know runs into the same problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by pbo2274
Well I have a power commander but no alarm. I guess I will try to take it in and see if they will run a diagnostic on it. I appreciate the info let me know if you or anyone you know runs into the same problems. Thanks.
It happened to me twice only AFTER I installed my power commander.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am the second person to have this problem. I also have a power commander. I'll bet its a power commander issue. I had my bike cut out on me 4 times today on the freeway! busy freeways!!!! I ripped off my tank/airbox/seats and checked for loose plug wires/wires and everything is fine. im gonna run it tomorrow w/o the power commander and see if i can duplicate the problem...
if anyone ahs heard anything in regards to this issue please post. thanks :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok i just ripped out the power commander and re-installed the tank etc... while installing the fuel tank back on the bike i noticed the capped fuel overflow valve had cracked and was leaking gas. that would mean that the overflow valve was leaking gas directly on the motor. some people would say its not going to leak much but i am comstantly doing wheelies and stoppies so that overflow reservoir/overflow valve is gonna have gas in it often. so im guessin that a good bump and/or whaching the throttle open may make the overflow valve spill out gas on to the motor. im not sure how this would kill the motor..??? must be a sensor to sense the gas on the motor..???? anyhow im gonna take off and ride her now. ill advise later if it still has the problem with the power commander removed..... anybody know if my situation would make the motor shut down.....???? thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I solved my problem. After removal of the p.c. unit and puting a gas overflow line back in my engine, my enginestopped dying on me while on the freeway! I then re-installed the P.C. unit and everything still worked fine..!!! I believe my problem was this: i routinely do wheelies and stoppies/endos (im not that good but im trying). doing such puts gas in my my overflow chamber of the fuel tank which was capped. The cap was cracked and would leak out a short time after entering the freeway and usually when i hit a bump or whacked the throttle a bit. As the cracked fuel capped leaked/sprayed out fuel it doused the wire harnesses that were/are in the area! Once gas got into the back of the wiring harnesses it shorted the P.C. which automatically shuts down and wont re-start until it is reset (meaning engine turned off and on by key or kill). So thats my story. I called the power commander tech guy and he said its very rare that they have problems with there P.C. units (go figure). I contacted a friend at the local honda/kawi dealer and he said they routinely get bikes in the shop with my bike symptoms (engine dies) and its a bad p.c. unit. he further said they (p.c. units)get really hot and overheat... just to be safe i am now wrapping the wiring harnesses with a little ceran wrap.. anyhow thats it. good luck!
;)
robz924 has attached this file: bgbggfgfsgsfgs.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.