Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so i have my triple tree unbolted and basically removed. however, I cant move it much because my ignition is still attached. I need to know a couple things, can i get to the wiring harness on the other end of the wiring to unplug it and be able to move my triple tree to my workbench, or do i have to separate the ignition from the tree first? Also, I know ppl have talked a little about this here already, but i need a lil more info on removing the ignition assembly...I know there are two security torx bolts holding it in place. I am wondering if i can just drill into the center and get the head off, if the assembly will then simply slide off, and then I use pliers to turn the ruined bolts out, and replace with new ones. I have read that some ppl have drilled the center out, then used a torx bit or security torx bit to remove the bolt. What i dont understand is if you drill the center out, how does that leave the proper hole for the torx bit? Please someone just explain the easiest way to get the lil bastards out. I know this post prolly sounds completely confusing, but im tired. lol.

THANKS for any help guys.
Kevin

·
Registered
518 Posts
if its the same as the 06 the ignition diconects under the airbox, you might be able to reach it from the top of the rad withought taking the tank and shit off

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
if they're security torx, get the bit at sears. they sell a kit for those goofy ass things.

if its a #3 phillips, use an impact driver to remove them TRUST ME. you'll strip them out if you don't

depending on the size of the torx if they're in there, i'd use an impact driver there, too..

if you do drill them out, try slotting them with a dremel cutoff wheel first and use a flat screwdriver.. if that doesn't work, then move on to some pliers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had to replace my triple tree clamp a while back. I took my easy out set ( almost like a reverse drill bit, you can pick up a set pretty cheap) Drilled a hole slightly smaller than the easy out bit. Stick in the easy out bit and use a wrench to work it out so you don't strip it out. I bought new bolts for the re-install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts