Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the site!

I recently picked up a 96 zx7r as a project bike, I bought it from a buddy who laid it down all fairing damage and tank damage so its a pretty simple fix but when I picked it up he told me he lost the key and the ignition was seized anyway. So I went on eBay and ordered one when I get the ignition I notice there is more wires with different colors. The one that came off the bike has 5 wires going to the connector which are white,brown,grey,blue and red and a black wire which was wired in this ignition is a KM-4.

The ignition I got from eBay which the add clearly stated 96 and up zx7r
Has 6 wires going to the connector which is green,black,red,brown,grey and orange with a seperate brown wire. This ignition is a KM-10

So my question is can I use this ignition for my bike? Or is it pointless to try?

I know there's gonna be skeptical ppl out there who's gonna say the bikes hot and yadda yadda yadda but rest assured the bikes mine and in my name no serial numbers scratched off or anything lol

Thanks guys

·
Registered
410 Posts
You bought an ignition from a 91-95. They may have told you it was from a 96+ but it is not. 91-95 has six wires in the white connector and a piggyback wire for the seventh wire. The 91-95 has only five wires in the white connector and no piggyback wire. You need to get another switch for a 96+.

You may also take your switch with your title to a locksmith. They can open up the switch, clean things up so it is not jammed and make you a new key. All they usually want is proof of ownership. I have two at the locksmith now getting keys made.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
You bought an ignition from a 91-95. They may have told you it was from a 96+ but it is not. 91-95 has six wires in the white connector and a piggyback wire for the seventh wire. The 96+ has only five wires in the white connector and no piggyback wire. You need to get another switch for a 96+.

You may also take your switch with your title to a locksmith. They can open up the switch, clean things up so it is not jammed and make you a new key. All they usually want is proof of ownership. I have two at the locksmith now getting keys made.
Fixed that.

Yes, you bought a switch for the previous generation. Please try again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have ignition wiring or know the colours sequence to kawa gt500 1994? Some @£&@0 tried to steal it and took all ignition wires out of the barrel. I have five coloured wires. Brown yellow red blue and white. Anyone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts