Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im having the ever present problem wich the zx7 is known for. i tried to replace the ignition switch but cant get the damn thing out... anyone know what size hex heads those are in there? like size 2mm? i can jump the conection from behind the battery and get the bike to crank, but it just wont start. this is such a headache. it ran fine, had trouble with the little starter button. now im ready to throw it over a bridge.

someone come help me, ill buy all the beer you can drink. ive taken this bike apart how many times to no avail!:mad:

·
Registered
470 Posts
well they are security bolts, not hex's, unless someone has replaced them already, what you usually need to do is remove the tripleclamp with the switch, turn it over, use a cutting wheel to 'notch' the assembly and screw head, and then use a standard screw driver to remove screws, replace with normal allen heads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol i was almost sure of the security caps. damn these Japanese! it will probably be another month before i feel like taking it apart again. i may just put the damn thing up for sale. i already have another bike. but thats a whole seperate topic. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I didn't need to remove the triple clamp, just used a dremel with a cutoff wheel. Notched the sides of the bolts and used a screwdriver to pop the heads off. Sounds like the infamous ignition wire problem. Oh ya there is a resister on the ign wire to prevent hotwiring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
or go to harbor freight, spend a few dollars and buy a kit with security bits in it and as an added bonus you can now take apart bathroom stalls that have security screws in them too!

T

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a dremel and the bit set actually. it bikes just been sitting while i ride the other its like all brain power has drained with it. thats guys for the tips. ill get that thing outta there and down to the dealer to buy another. maybe ill add a relay to kinda dispurse the electrical load since the system is pretty weak. i would actually enjoy riding the 7 again.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
that harbor frieght kit won't work, its a kind of securty screw that when inserted and torqued down it snaps off and all you have is a smooth dome screw head. either drill it out or notch the side and pop the top off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
that harbor frieght kit won't work, its a kind of securty screw that when inserted and torqued down it snaps off and all you have is a smooth dome screw head. either drill it out or notch the side and pop the top off.
weird all the ignitions I've worked on had the star with a pin in the middle safety screw.

/shrug honda makes their bikes easy to work on I guess lol.

T

·
Registered
29 Posts
actually honda sticks a resistor in the ignition so that if it's popped with a screw driver then the resistor breaks and the bike won't start.

The resister also likes to go out randomly on higher mileage bikes lol :-(

T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts