Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from being in an accident.. I mean just got home. I'm waiting on my gf to bring me back bandages and peroxide, and so in the meantime I shall share my sad tale.

I got off work and decided to ride around a bit. All was well and I was having a good time as usual. I decided to pull into an empty parking lot to practice my turns. Well... I was taking a turn, not too fast or slow, and hit some gravel and the rear slid out. I hit the ground and remeber thinking "this isnt happening". The bike slid for a ways before coming to a stop. It all happend so fast and yet in my mind I can see the bike sliding as I hit the ground and swearing to myself.

I lay there for a brief second a little stunned to move, before I quickly got up and picked the bike up. More embarassed than anything else I shut it off so that I wouldnt draw attention to myself in the dark parking lot. Right about then i was able to catch my breath and it really sunk in. Thats also when the pain in my side kicked in, so I promptly took off my helmet and gloves to open up my jacket. I opened it to find my white shirt stained with blood. Oh yeah, that got my heart pumping... for a second thought I was dying or something. Pulled up my shirt to find a baseball sized wound staring right back at me.

Well, other parts hurt as well, but that waist wound was the worst and I knew it wouldnt kill me. I tried to start up the bike, and nothing. It would try to turn over, but it just wouldnt do it. I gave up after a few tries and pushed it over to a light pole. There I saw a glimpse of the damage, and was not happy about it. Tomorrow when it is light I will post pictures. Anyway, I eventually got it to start and got it home. Sorry, cutting it short she just got back with bandages. Will post pictures tomorrow.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Hope you heal soon. At least you weren't injured worse.

--David

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Sorry to hear about it, but welcome to the world of two wheels... basically unstable vehicles & all. You're not one of the OTHER kinds of motorcyclists... those who HAVE...
You'll really appreciate that road rash in a day or two... make sure you SCRUB (not dab) it with antiseptic. Infection is not only possible; it's likely.

Speedy recovery.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Teah, if I wasnt wearing my gear it would have been a lot worse. I took the day off work to recover a bit, hopefully tomorrow I will feel well enough to go back. I dont have any antiseptic soap or anything like that yet, just peroxide. Anyone know what kind I should be looking for? Thanks, I will go check out and take some pictures of the bike in a bit when I fully wake up and change my bandages.

·
Registered
96 Posts
good luck and take it easy for a few days . dont worry about the bike at least your ok. next time check out where your going to be driving around in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my camera isnt working atm but after looking at the bike it seems that the damage is mostly cosmetic. Ive got scratching on the right muffler with a slight dent near the bottom, scratches on the corner of the fairing, front right turn signal is broken but still works, right mirror scratched on the back, the handlebar is a bit scratched as is the front tire rim, the area to the right of the oil level is scratched a bit, and the rear brake is bent a bit. All in all I think everything could have been a lot worse, im surprised that there wasnt more damage as I did see the bike fall pretty hard.

Anyway, I started it up just fine and it sounded normal. I didnt notice any fluids leaking. I'm going to call up my dealership and have them take a look at it. I was due in for a scheduled maintenance soon anyway. Hopefully they will look it over and say that the engine and everything is working fine.

As for me, I'm fine. Probably could have gone to work but Im taking it easy today. No more bleeding as nothing went too deep. Anyone thats gone through an accident reccomend any good antiseptic wash type stuff? Also, anyone know where I can find some black paint that they use to coat the outside of the engine area with? I Would like to make those scratches a little less noticeable after the bikes been checked out.

Once again, thankyou all for your kind words

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ouch!! Be careful with using too much peroxide. That stuff is potent and will kill any skin that you've got and your wounds won't heal as well. I feel your pain though....dropped my bike twice on Saturday and could barely move the next day becuase my muscles hurt so bad....pretty sure I strained my knee (if that's possible) I don't think i tore anything because I can still walk and stuff, but I heard a loud pop when i fell and the bike fell right on top of my leg and my leg turned in a direction i didn't know was possible.

Good luck with your riding and be careful w/ those turns and gravel. Thanks for your story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.