Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 ninja 500. And I cant figure it out. Starting to be a big pain in the butt. Here is the problems I have going on.

1. No power at key ignition switch. ( its new ) I have checked all fuse and there all good. And put new starter in. New battery, battery cables, new starter solenoid and still nothing. Put if I run a jumper from battery to the plug in on the ignition switch I get power and I turn key off and shuts power down. And with the jumper still on it. I can turn key on and it's got power. But the min I pull the jumper everything is dead.

2. I put the new starter in and when I have jumper wire from battery to the ignition I hit the start button. And it turns the motor 1 or 1/2 turn and then nothing.

3. I have coolant coming out of little hole on the side of the head.that comes out when I try to start it. And it's not just a little dip. Alot has came out.

4 I also put new clutch plates in. And trying to tighting the bolts with the spring on them. The hole clutch pack spins and not sure how to make sure there right enough.

This is the first time owning a bike. So I'm all new to all of this. Thought it would be easier then a car. Well jokes on me. Trying to see if I'm f***ed or not

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
759 Posts
A good place to start would be to address problem #3. You have a damaged O-ring on one (or possibly both) of you water pipes.

These are the O-rings on the water pipes at the top of the pic.
The water pipes are located next to the spark plus, with the hose going to the thermostat. The coolant may be shorting out the spark plug. You have one of those holes you describe on both sides of your engine. Which ever hole the coolant is coming out of would correspond with which O-ring is leaking. But the other one may also be bad, just not leaking as much.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Pardon my misspelled words above, for some reason I couldn't edit them.

Those bolts your tightening on the clutch only have a torque value of 78inch lbs. Which is only 6.5 ft.lbs. I don't recall that being enough force to turn the clutch pack. But if it is you can put the bike in gear and hold the rear brake to stop it. Just don't over tighten it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks on the o-rings. And yep all fuse are good. Looking at the wiring stuff I found online. The white wire is the one i can put the jumper from my postive battery side to the clip for the ignition switch. And then I have power. But if I pull the jumper wire out I lose all power and fuse are good and new so I'm so lost. Would the computer for the bike be bad and not letting me get power

I'm new to owning a bike. So I have been putting all these new parts in and it could be something so little but I dont know just going off what someone said.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I can't say what it could be. But I think your first order would be to fix what you know is wrong. That O-ring leak may be bad enough that it is shorting out the spark plug. The hole that the coolant is leaking from is a direct path to the spark plug well. On your electrical issue your probably going to have to start testing circuits with a multi-meter.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Are the parts you have replaced all brand new factory OEM?
Or are they used factory OEM?
Or are they aftermarket parts?
Or a combination there of?

·
Registered
759 Posts
You should consider doing a valve adjustment on your bike.
Reasons:
A. Replacing the coolant O-rings involves part of the work required to do the valve adjustment.
B. When doing the valve adjustment, with some of the parts removed and out of the way it would be easier to inspect over the bike to isolate your issue. And possibly find other issues.
C. A valve adjustment should always be done in short order when you acquire a new bike with an unknown service history.
How to: Valve adjustment EX500

·
Registered
759 Posts
Just to be clear. When you say all the fuses are good.

That does include this one at the solenoid, under the red cap.
Correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update.

I put my test one the postive side on the starter relay. And touched my postive on my starter. Light comes up green. And if I touch anything else on the bike with it comes up green. I put the clip on a ground and nothing shows up. And for the o'rings are in there way. And also found out my starter clutch is bad. So would it be better to buy a new wiring harness and all new electric parts. And the other part is I disc all the clips for the wiring harnes and still shows green.

Like I said I'm all new to this stuff.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't think I would get in a hurry to get a new harness just yet. If you don't have a service manual, you should look in to getting one of those. Check out all the connections on your wiring. Make sure they're clean and tight.
How do you know your starter clutch is out if you have no power?
How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can take a wire from my battery to the ignition switch and I get all power and I turn it over and starter turns motor over and then the clutch just spins. After it try's to turn it over. That's the only way I can get power. Is with the jumper. But with the jumper I get all power. So I can use the start button,horn,and exc

·
Registered
759 Posts
OK, I don't think 34,000 miles is all that high. I have 108,000 on mine. It just seems like you have a lot going on all at once and I was curious to know the mileage. You may need a starter clutch or you may not, I don't think looking in to that at this point would be a priority. You will probably have better luck taking it one step at a time.
What you will need is a multi-meter so you can read volts/ohms to help tract down electrical issues. They're not that expensive and are easy to use.
You also need a service manual. It will contain procedures on how to test and diagnose electrical issues among other things. You could probably get a used one on ebay or somewhere. Be sure it includes your specific year. May be able to just do a google search for that also. I would be testing the ignition switch right about now.
If you could start taking a lot of pictures and putting them on the site, that may also help.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts