Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
OK, I forgot about the new ignition switch. Check your wiring connections, maybe you have a loose one or one that didn't get connected at all.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I wonder if your junction box (AKA fuse box) is up to par?
Your fuses are good, what about the circuits they connect to in the junction box?

Pardon my crude drawing.
These are connecter terminals to the junction box. With a multi-meter set to measure ohms you should get the following readings.
1-1A
1-2
3A-4
6-5
6-10
6-7
6-17
The above readings should all be 0.
The readings below should all read infinity.
1A-8
2-8
3A-8
6-2
6-3A
17-3A

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got all power now. I ordered and wiring harness for it and that worked. And still wont start when you hit the start button you can hear the start clutch spinning amd that's it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If it's making a smooth sounding spinning sound, and not an obnoxious sound, you may have got the starter leads reversed causing the starter motor (and starter clutch) to just spin backwards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If it's making a smooth sounding spinning sound, and not an obnoxious sound, you may have got the starter leads reversed causing the starter motor (and starter clutch) to just spin backwards.

I have the postive wire hooked to the post on starter and the negative hooked on the bolt.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just to be clear

^ Wire A goes to the negative post on the battery. Wire B goes to the solenoid.

Wire 1 goes to the starter (Wire B in the other pic). Wire 2 goes to the positive post on the battery.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I went back through the thread and noticed you still haven't said what kind of starter you bought (only that you got a new one).

If you have a genuine factory Kawasaki starter, then the part number needs to look exactly like this one. If you have an "L" in this number, then you have one that runs the wrong direction.

If you have an aftermarket starter, you can remove it to check to see if it is turning the correct direction. Refer to the top pic in post #29. Remove the starter and directly hook wire B to the positive post on a battery, and then touch wire A to the negative post on the battery. When the starter spins it needs to be spinning clockwise. If it is spinning counter-clockwise it will not work.
You will have to hang on to the starter when doing this or it will take off.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts