Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

So I finished MSF last weekend. I asked my instructor at MSF what would happen when I brought the certificate saying I passed everything at MSF to the DMV, he said I could get my motorcycle license. I only have my car permit. Anyway, my mom called the DMV and asked if I could get the license. The lady said, "No, because he does not have his car license yet." I get my car license in 6 MONTHS. I was looking to get a ninja 250 this summer. But now, I'm without a vehicle for another 6 months, and I'm really....really depressed that I cannot ride for such a long time. I even bought gear! Now it'll be waiting in the closet until those 6 super long months are over with. I thought they had a motorcycle permit type thing, where you could ride, but you had to have someone watching you. By the way, I live in Texas.
But yah. This sucks. :(

Thank you to the people that read this huge wall of text.

· Premium Member
953 Posts
Exactly!^^^^
In CA the only things you cannot do with a permit is:
1) Ride at night
2) Ride with a passenger
3) Ride on the Freeway

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
Your instructor probably thought you had a bike permit when you said you had a permit.

I'm sorry to hear that OP but take it as a lesson.

Do your research ahead of time so you won't be disappointed.
It sounds really condescending when I say this and I hated hearing this stuff from my parents but it's true.
Being an adult means that you wouldn't have gotten yourself in this situation because you would have done your basic research.

So, like I said before, take it as a lesson and learn to do your research and prep work properly.

BTW I'm only 24 so not that many years ago, I was getting lectured by my parents on shit like this.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your instructor probably thought you had a bike permit when you said you had a permit.

I'm sorry to hear that OP but take it as a lesson.

Do your research ahead of time so you won't be disappointed.
It sounds really condescending when I say this and I hated hearing this stuff from my parents but it's true.
Being an adult means that you wouldn't have gotten yourself in this situation because you would have done your basic research.

So, like I said before, take it as a lesson and learn to do your research and prep work properly.

BTW I'm only 24 so not that many years ago, I was getting lectured by my parents on shit like this.
I did do the research! I even asked you guys on the forum. I was told I was going to get a permit. My instructor knew I only had a car permit. But yah, I am taking it as a lesson. I wasn't lectured by my parents though. They were told by the MSF guy that I would get a permit also. I was also told I would get one on the forum. :confused:

12,887 Posts
I did do the research! I even asked you guys on the forum. I was told I was going to get a permit. My instructor knew I only had a car permit. But yah, I am taking it as a lesson. I wasn't lectured by my parents though. They were told by the MSF guy that I would get a permit also. I was also told I would get one on the forum. :confused:
...wut?
Who on this forum told you that passing the MSF would get you a permit?:confused:

MSF doesn't get you anything unless you already have your motorcycle permit. To get your permit, you need to go to your local DMV and take a written test or that's how it works in most states. Only when you have your motorcycle permit and pass the MSF course, will you get your license and not have to take the road test.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
You don't have a driver's license because?..

It's a motorcycle endorsement; not a license. Its like an upgrade to your driver's license, so you have to get that first.

12,887 Posts
In Massachusetts and New York it's not.
My first license was purely a motorcycle license (never got around to scheduling the road test for the car).

I did have my motorcycle permit before I took the MSF course though.

· Registered
123 Posts
The whole permit thing varies. In Oregon you have to have a valid drivers license. I had never stepped on a bike before the MSF course here.

Sparks, I specifically remember multiple people telling you that you needed a drivers license. Maybe a couple said you didn't, but in that case, you ignored the masses and listened to the few who gave you the answer you wanted. It's ok, you learn from your mistakes.

12,887 Posts
...I think I'm going to keep my bike restricted to the Northeast where the minimum age is 16 :lol:

But on a more serious note, I'd be curious to see the rate of accidents for 14 & 15 year olds vs 16 year olds.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
I was under the impression you could get your motorcycle license at 15 in Texas...hmmmm.
-Cody

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.