Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of installing a GPS on my bike. But
does the vibration of the motorcycle damage the GPS?
Tom Tom has a bike specific one, but it's around $450.
I was hoping I could just buy a $30 used one on Ebay
and wire it in. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i bought an older "car" unit some years back. worked just fine. i had it on a couple different type scooters on the freeway and roads. never had an issue.

i hardly use it now that i have smart phone (from a dumb phone.) i have a 2014 650 and supposedly has more rubber dampening. cell phones are a little less forgiving and i've ridden that 650 all over and at varying speeds and i can still see it pretty well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah I just use a clamp for my phone and also have an Interphone unit so I can hear all the instructions too.

If you have a screen you would be surprised how much rain that will keep off the handlebar area, if not then I would advise getting yourself a weatherproof phone case. You can get them off of Amazon for a tenner.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an old Garmin Nuvi 350W I use on my '08 during rain days (when I put the phone away in the weatherproof tank bag). I use a Ram x-grip mount and have never had a problem with vibration issues.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
The motorcycle ones cost more because of the difficulty in making a screen that's easy to utilize when the sun is shining on it. It needs to be a lot brighter, kind of like using your cellphone in full daylight.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've been thinking of installing a GPS on my bike. But
does the vibration of the motorcycle damage the GPS?
Tom Tom has a bike specific one, but it's around $450.
I was hoping I could just buy a $30 used one on Ebay
and wire it in. Thank you.
I agree with sev. Some of the automotive ones are a bit harder to see in direct sun but if you can angle it towards you it can be seen.
I didn't have the tom tom bike specific gps but I had a couple of their others and they were junk. Gave them away.
I also bought the Nuvi 1300 on ebay for less than $30. Ended up with 4 of them so I wouldn't have to move them around.
I have one for off roading and it's been dusty and wet and the screen is scratched but it works fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an old Garmin Nuvi 350W I use on my '08 during rain days (when I put the phone away in the weatherproof tank bag). I use a Ram x-grip mount and have never had a problem with vibration issues.
Could I use that Ram x -grip mount, say, for a Tom Tom One?
It's just that I'm used to Tom Toms. Doesn't the rain damage a GPS, I mean the $30 ones used? Thank you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is the TT One flat? Or is that one of the older "rounded" ones? If rounded, no, it won't work with the x-grip. Whatever device you plop in the x-mount needs to have a flat back. My Nuvi has been in rain many times (at the least 20, and that's conservative). and still works perfect.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Is the TT One flat? Or is that one of the older "rounded" ones? If rounded, no, it won't work with the x-grip. Whatever device you plop in the x-mount needs to have a flat back. My Nuvi has been in rain many times (at the least 20, and that's conservative). and still works perfect.
I haven't actually soaked my garmin but they get wet and the one for the boat sits in direct sun of 110*+ and works great.
I also have the lifetime map upgrade on them.
Super EZ to use but I guess they all are these days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts