Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3rd time at the track, first time knee down!!!
They put me in the fast group. 1.59 minutes at Phakisa here, Rossi does a 1.34 I believe.

I am hpoing to get to about 1.55, thats where most of the local fast guys hang out. Any tips? I am running Pilot Powers, stock suspension settings, and I'm a little heavy for the stock settings i think, 93KG where optimal rider is about 55kg.

Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh, the bike didn't feel squirmish or anything, tracked through the corners like on rails, I'm just wandering if it might be even BETTER? maybe give me more confidence? HOws my hanging off thingy?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah, it would be better, because that's how it's supposed to be. The bikes can ride great at any susp settings, but because we're all different weights, there are adjustments that are supposed to be made to compensate. I've always focused on susp settings and helped several others get theirs set up for them too. The sport rider thing is bs IMO, not detailed enough to help somebody get it "correct". Each bike and rider is unique and there are a hundred ways it could be set and have a very minor difference in performace.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i'm gonna use the sportsrider as a reference, and then tune to my liking.
Also, I found it much more comfortable to sit further back on the seat when hanging off, this really made my cornering feel more stable, is this the right way? or should I sit close up against the tank?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I'm not a track rider, so I can't really comment on how to sit and whatnot when turning. I'll talk suspension all day though. From my experience riding and reading on here, sitting forward to the tank is the right way for cornering. Use the tank for leverage. That's what I do and works for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats on the times. Here's a couple of suggestions.

- Invest in some race compounds or at least race takeoffs. They will give you much more confidence on the track and provide a greater margin of error. Since it sounds like your going to be pushing it out there, street tires tend to overheat and become greasy late into a session.

- Get your suspension setup for your weight. Make adjustments as needed. Your tires will tell you alot and ask the suspension guys about what you're feeling out there. This will make a big impact.

- Riding styles are all different but you will notice that most will get their heads down looking through the turn. Some call it "kissing the mirror" or "kissing your hand" but you get the idea. It looks like you're body is moving off pretty well but once your head moves off more, your body will follow. Ideally, your outer leg is braced against the tank along with your outer arm.

- The last thing to get faster is just more track time. Not just riding the track but talking with and learning from others.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sportrider's settings are generally soft and they set the same for all their testers, varying from 140-190 pounds. It's not a guide to use at all. Set the sag according to proper directions and go from there.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
stop thinking about draggin a knee a knee pucks. All the knee dragging does is give you a guide to how far you are leaned over. It does not make you a better rider and we see guys on the track all the time who are hanging off so far they almost FALL OFF the bike, trying to scrape.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by Fade-Dude
Yeah i'm gonna use the sportsrider as a reference, and then tune to my liking.
Also, I found it much more comfortable to sit further back on the seat when hanging off, this really made my cornering feel more stable, is this the right way? or should I sit close up against the tank?
Getting the suspension set-up and sag set will smooth the bike out like you can't imagine...invest in it!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I think i'll rather take it to a pro shop before I fiddle with it myself. P.S. I do use the knee dragging as a guide, not a 3rd wheel, it works great.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree...dragging knee does not make you faster. Suggestion: Make sure you're body is square with the bike when leaning over, outter arm almost straight and inner elbow bent (almost as exaggerated as Ben Spies). You look twisted. There's no right way or wrong way on body positioning....do what is confortable.

Last, i'm surprised you have sparkly knee pucks...leave them at home and not for the track (squid move):D

Originally posted by Ernie
stop thinking about draggin a knee a knee pucks. All the knee dragging does is give you a guide to how far you are leaned over. It does not make you a better rider and we see guys on the track all the time who are hanging off so far they almost FALL OFF the bike, trying to scrape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.