Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
work out more :D

if your riding it on the street, lower your forks the amount your comfortable. if your on the track, jack up the rear to the sky because you don't need to have both feet on the ground to race.

what tires are you running?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My son rides a `98 CBR F3 and it corners MUCH easier than my `01 ZX 6R. The CBR has a smaller rear tire, so I guess that helps it to be a bit quicker, but it also feels more stable and confident. My quest is to improve the cornering of my 6R so it feels more like the F3 in the corners.

I was thinking of raising the backend 5mm or so, but I won`t be able to get my feet down flat at stop. I guess I could lower the front end 5mm down the forks.

I also run the tires softer than spec. Anyone have any experience with different tire pressures?

Any other ideas on how to get this thing to turn better?

Thanks.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I`m running Dunlop 207`s on the 6R, the Honda is running Metzler M1 Sportec (I think I got that right) I run them about 3lbs lower than spec.

Would reducing unsprung weight make a diference?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lower that front end. Makes crazy difference in the effort it takes to turn. Do it a little at a time because it can be extreme. Try it and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Careful just lowering the front end at will... might make turn in slightly sharper but will definitely effect stability too... have you set up the suspension on the 6R properly yet?

Here's Sportrider.com's guide to adjusting ride height:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0202_geek/

... but I suggest to start with tuning your suspension:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_susp/
(an excellent guide to FAQ's, troubleshooting, and overall adjustment and setup this forum links to quite often...)

... and by the way, imo the F3 has better tires (the M1's) than your bike, that might be PART of the reason why you like its handling better ;)

I always hesitate to recommend fiddling with things like ride height and different aspect/profile tires to create a difference in handling until convinced you have set up your front and rear suspension to the ideal settings to suit your riding style, size, and roads / tracks. Tuning suspension is a LOT easier than most people give themselves credit for.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
280 Posts
Try a smidge over 5 lines of preload up front and 3 clicks out on the rebound damping up front and stock compression. I run stock rebound in rear with two extra clicks of compression in the rear.

I think the key to your steering is the front on this bike. Too much pre-load will make this bike turn very heavy and too much comp damping will keep the nose high in corners, making you run wide.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP
flushmount v's, valter moto rearset adjusters, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree, be carefull with the suspension settings. You may get the quickness you want, but at a sacrifice of stability . My front forks are showing over 1 inch above the top clamp (extreme), but if I turn the steering damper too soft it gets squiggly over rises. I also have the rear end stink-bug style, run stiff settings and GP compound. Turns great (click link), but a damper is mandatory.
;)

Thunder Hill, CA
Sears Point, CA
Leguna Seca, CA
and counting

http://www.sportbikerider.us/Sportbike_Rider/Pictures38/IMG_6791.JPG

·
Registered
67 Posts
In a race about two weeks ago(my first outting on my zx6rr) i noticed it was hard to brake real late into the corner because of the bike wanting to pick up. Is this in the suspention or the front triple clamp hight?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Use caution in copying the suggested settings from sportrider.com. Keep in mind that these settings are for their rider weight and style and are surely set up for a controlled riding route without the everyday potholes and bumps that the street rider deals with day in and day out. I fiddled around with my '03 settings and pretty much returned to stock settings, minus a click or two here and there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.