Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, gentleman and ladies

My bike won't start.

The long story: I was coming back from my friend's house. As I was coming to a 3-way intersection, I shifted in to first, with the clutch in, and as I came to the stop, the bike died. Like the power was just completely shut off. The headlights were still on, and the gauges were still lit up, etc. But when I tried to start it up again, nothing. The starter just turned. Messing with the choke did nothing. So, now it sits on the side of the road at an intersection in a shady part of town.

What could possibly be the problem? I don't even know where to begin trying to diagnose WTF is going on. And I couldn't see shit at 1 AM, so I'll be going there tomorrow (or later today) to try and get her started again :( Could it possibly just be a flooded engine?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
With a sudden failure like this there are two probable causes - fuel and spark.

Silly question, but have you run out of gas or the level dropped to where you need to switch to reserve? Is the tank vent blocked? - if it is, the bike will eventually restart, or straigh away if you open the gas cap. Open the drain screw at the bottom of one of the carbs as a rough check that fuel is flowing.

Remove a spark plug. Hold the plug body against the motor, operate the starter (which is still working, you say?) and check that there's a good spark.

Once you know whether the problem is spark or fuel, come back to us.

At that time of night, it's not impossible that you stalled it then flooded it trying to re-start. And you did check the kill switch?

Rob

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Rob!

I just filled the bike up today (with 87 octane). What do you mean by the tank vent? If it's what I think you mean, that could possibly be it. It hasn't made that squealing sound since I fueled up today... Hmmm...

I'll have to open the drain screw tomorrow morning and check that.

Yeah, the starter still works it sounds like there's still plenty of battery power left. My pops recommended checking the spark plugs. I'll add that to my to-do list for tomorrow as well.

I went back about 15 minutes ago (roughly an hour since this incident) and it still won't start. My dad says it's probably not flooded (if it were, it would have been able to start by now). I hope he's wrong :/ I'm holding out that I just rode it too cold and it's flooded.

Thanks again, Rob. Hopefully ONE of those things will at least diagnose what's going on here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had similar kind of trouble once or twice, i just keep holding on the starter, and after a long time it finally started, possible for me was cold engine
I think it may have ended up being the fuel feed system to the carbs, sometimes u can get a vacum in the fuel tank, and because the fuel is vacuum fed it can't get fuel into the carbs.
Try opening the gas tank cap, or changing the fuel petcock to prime(gravity fed) to make sure fuel is in the carb bowls.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went back to the scene of the incident this morning, and it started up first try. It must have just been a severely flooded engine? I opened the gas tank cap, closed it, and started it again. Maybe that alone was all it needed.

Whatever it was, it's alright now. And I feel complete again, haha. Thanks for your input, Narc and Rob.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
It could be that the tank is not venting and the pump is creating a vacuum.

When you open the tank the internal pressure equalizes with the atmospheric pressure and you're ready to go again. If this happens again try opening the tank and starting the engine. If it starts then more than likely the vent hose from the tank is pinched.

Glad to hear you got her going again!

:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this something I should keep my eye on and find a fix for? Or is it one of those once-in-a-blue-moon things?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I doubt it but it could've been a fluke.

If it does it again then there's a problem.

Your bike shouldn't just shut off like that and leave you stranded.

Like Rob said there's two things you need to look for Spark and Fuel. One of them was cut off and that's why it left you stranded. If it does it again you'll have to dig into it and find the source of the problem, unless you're not up to stuff like that, if not you'll have to take it to someone who can troubleshoot the problem.

If it does it again try opening the tank. If you're able to start her up after that then it may be that a tank vent hose is kinked or stopped up.

Anyway I know it's not much but hope this helps!

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts