Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 2009 ZX6R couple days ago and rode it home - a 500 mile ride :)
long and demanding, but also fun. i'm a novice rider coming from 2008 250r so it has WAY too much power then i can handle now anyway. i miss the 70 MPG of the 250r

i was just cruising, only occasionally going into 12k rpm in 6th gear and shifting early.

i could get about 200-220 MPG with such conservative riding on full tank to empty.
Rode 167 miles from last fill-up without the fuel warning light coming on) the light comes on when only 3.5 L in the tank is left (0.92 gallons)
220 would be 48.8 MPG

Will PC 5 help with that aspect ?
What else besides conservative smooth riding ?

Also, in my area there isn't 91 octane fuel available, only 90. Does the octane really matter ? Does anyone use the lower octane rating ?

PS: i wouldn't mind gearing it up a bit by changing sprocket to +1 if that helps and is easy ? would that affect speedometer accuracy ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
No offense intended but the ZX6R is not meant for gas mileage, its meant to scream and be ridden. Conservatively I've seen about 40-43mpg and I believe Kawasaki rates it at 44mpg. So if you're getting more than that already, that would be pretty good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't ride mine too hard, and I average about 34mpg. It was a let down for me coming off a 250 as well, however I know that more power = more gas.

As far as I know there really isn't anything you can do that will significantly increase your gas mileage except higher gearing. But who wants to make a performance bike have less power?

·
Registered
538 Posts
on average I get roughly 280kms (170ish miles) per tank and thats usually a mixture of normal and quicker riding. You guys in the USA say you run on 91 octane fuel? Here is Australia the cheapest stuff is 91 octane. The minimum we are meant to run in our bikes down under is 95 or higher octane (as per the owners manual)... I only fill up on 98 octane (BP Ultimate). So the engine tuning must be quite different between countries. As for achieving better fuel consumption with your zx6r, I think Penthos is correct when saying that these bikes weren't designed with economy in mind... wrong bike for that! What we get with these bikes is as good as its gonna get unless you start messing with smaller rear sprockets or leaning out the fuel mixture with aftermarket tuners... Anything over 40mpg is fantastic as most cars unless small don't even get that!

·
Registered
85 Posts
on average I get roughly 280kms (170ish miles) per tank and thats usually a mixture of normal and quicker riding. You guys in the USA say you run on 91 octane fuel? Here is Australia the cheapest stuff is 91 octane. The minimum we are meant to run in our bikes down under is 95 or higher octane (as per the owners manual)... I only fill up on 98 octane (BP Ultimate). So the engine tuning must be quite different between countries.
its actually a difference in the way octane numbers are calculated
there is a "ron" and "mon" number one would be much higher than the other for the same gas but im to lazy to go look it up right now but in the US we use ron+mon divided by 2 so basically an average of both

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,797 Posts
on average I get roughly 280kms (170ish miles) per tank and thats usually a mixture of normal and quicker riding. You guys in the USA say you run on 91 octane fuel? Here is Australia the cheapest stuff is 91 octane. The minimum we are meant to run in our bikes down under is 95 or higher octane (as per the owners manual)... I only fill up on 98 octane (BP Ultimate). So the engine tuning must be quite different between countries. As for achieving better fuel consumption with your zx6r, I think Penthos is correct when saying that these bikes weren't designed with economy in mind... wrong bike for that! What we get with these bikes is as good as its gonna get unless you start messing with smaller rear sprockets or leaning out the fuel mixture with aftermarket tuners... Anything over 40mpg is fantastic as most cars unless small don't even get that!
As was mentioned below by speed-kills.
91 RON = 87 (RON+MON)/2 (USA's octane rating)

So 99% of people with ZX6r's using 87 octane would be using 91 octane in Australia as they are the same octane (just measured differently). So in Australia using anything higher then 91 octane is... Silly ;)

And a good way to possibly gain fuel economy and not lose (and actually GAIN horsepower) is to get rid of weight, re-sprocketing, and eliminating things that suck horsepower (unfortunately there's not much you can nix on a 6r that sucks horsepower).

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd say go with a sprocket swap. Coming off of a 250, no matter how much you gear it down with a sprocket, its still going to accelerate waaayyyy faster than the 250 enough to keep you smiling while saving you a bit of gas. But really, for motorbikes, does mileage really even matter? No matter what its going to be better than what you'd get in a car by a long shot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Staying clear of ethanol cut gas (where possible) will improve your mpg.

Unfortunately I have to get well out of Houston to find 'ethanol free' gas.

·
Registered
161 Posts
heck i rode mine rly hard yesterday and only did 70 miles and i can see the bottom of the tank i dont like to let it go past 90 miles how many miles of conservative riding do you guys get i put 93octane in mine

·
Registered
948 Posts
heck i rode mine rly hard yesterday and only did 70 miles and i can see the bottom of the tank i dont like to let it go past 90 miles how many miles of conservative riding do you guys get i put 93octane in mine
Even when I ride the piss out of mine I still get at least 120 miles before the low fuel light blinks. You need a tune up or lose some weight......

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Sounds like you should have stuck with your hopped-up moped if you're complaining about the mileage of a supersport bike. Nobody in their right mind tunes a supersport for maximum mileage and cruising distance. Probably should have done your homework before you bought. Also, whatever gay mods you could do to get better mileage on the highway won't make a significant difference anyways. Maybe a few mpg at best. Mid-40's is GOOD mpg. Ride and enjoy the bike for what it is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
44-46mpg (on ethanol-free 93oct) usually on my bike but that's cruising most of the time and not really laying the hammer down. Pretty phenomenal for a machine making ~200hp/liter

Being mindful of your driving habits will net you a larger gain in fuel economy than any performance mods or sprocket changes

This Top Gear episode sums it up pretty well :)
YouTube - Prius More Enviromentally Damaging Than BMW M3

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I get about 100 miles before the light comes on. Ever since I got the bike I've been riding it like I stole it.

If you're getting close to 50 mpg, then thats wayyy better than me.

A simple way to save gas is to go +1 on the front sprocket. You'll lose some acceleration, but if you're getting 50 mpg then you won't notice much difference (you ride like a pansy :D jk, everyone rides different)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts