• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day we "indexed" the spark plugs on KZ900 and 1000's...And just about any other "race" bike you can think of...Two stroke MX bikes...Drag bikes...And road racing bikes.

With carberators' we even ran different brand and heat range plugs, in different cylinders to try and tune the motor's for optimum performance.

Rule of thumb was to take the open end of the electrode and point it at the intake valve.

Indexing by itself was...Well a small piece of the puzzle...Take that "trick" with as many others as know...And we were able to make horsepower...Or so we thought...Bike got faster that's for sure.

Links that discuss "indexing" spark plugs...Pro or Con...Would be a good thing.

Replys and comments, that have made you come to your conclusion or experience will hopefully educate all who participate.

Okay...On with the question:

Do you index the spark plug's in your race bike ???

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Given the velocity of the intake charge and how fast it fills the combustion chamber, I am not sure there is any real benefit here. There might have been with older condensor/points ignitions which sometimes had weaker sparks.

But I have never seen dyno results either way. I would spend more time getting valves evenly adjusted than messing with plugs, and the only way you can adjust how it faces is to shim it out which moves it away from the combustion chamber.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.