Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I m Aaron. Im 18 goin on 19 in the next 3 weeks. I currently have a 1995 bmw 325i with a bunch of mods...i.e. suspension redone, urethane bushings, catback, afe cai, 17" adrs, and so on and so forth.

lately though i ve become real interested in bikes. i know i should take the msf course, get some gear, and not go crazy with it my first time(s) riding.

my friends stepdad is selling his i believe, 1998? kawasaki ninja 500r. hes only asking 2k for it and i believe it has somewhere around 9k miles...if that. i know it was maintained and whatnot however...i plan on buying it asap. just to get it so i have it. a few of my other friends are interested in it as well. i just need to know how good of a deal is this? should i get it now or wait? i mean i still need to check into insurance and whatnot but yeah...

i m 5'8.5" and weigh about 145lbs. and sat on it before and it feels fine so yeah i like it but tips, advice, etc?

sorry to end it quickly and off key but time for me to head out for a bit. i ll be back on in the next few hours so any advice is greatly appreciated thanks everyone :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome to KF !

2K for a 98' 500 is a fair deal IMO if it's well maintained as you say. A 250 or 500 is a great first bike. Go for it ...
BUT
Make sure you take the MSF course ASAP! THAT is the most important thing you could do for yourself :)
(aside from buying good gear!!!)

Welcome aboard & Ride Safe !

·
Registered
201 Posts
+9 the class is well worth the money. you learn plenty....

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
Bike price seems fair. Keep it for a couple summers and then you should be able to get a good portion of your moneyt back out of it when you sell. 250s and 500s fall to around $2k after about five years and hover around that mark for a good amount of time after. It's commendable that you are trying to do it the right way, and:

DON'T FORGET OR CHEAP OUT ON GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do some research as there are many deals to be had but there are certain things you should be looking for when buying gear (these things have been discussed {or argued} about on here so many times searching should provide exhaustive amounts of information).

Go for it and have a blast.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I would see if you can get him to go down a little on the price of that bike. For instance, one of my friends got an 06 500r w/500 miles on it this past spring, for $3500. The bike that you are lookin' at is 10 years old, so he should be able to do a little bit better on the price.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I would see if you can get him to go down a little on the price of that bike. For instance, one of my friends got an 06 500r w/500 miles on it this past spring, for $3500. The bike that you are lookin' at is 10 years old, so he should be able to do a little bit better on the price.

Just my .02.
i was thinking that too but its not completely unfair given the easy resale value of the bike. i say buy it, ride it, and enjoy the hell out of new more expensive hobbie. :D

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i was thinking that too but its not completely unfair given the easy resale value of the bike. i say buy it, ride it, and enjoy the hell out of new more expensive hobbie. :D
Yes, you're right. It is not an unreasonable price. It isn't really a deal either. I was just thinkin', you could always try to get him down a little bit. It's worth a shot, I guess.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yes, you're right. It is not an unreasonable price. It isn't really a deal either. I was just thinkin', you could always try to get him down a little bit. It's worth a shot, I guess.
Yea it's usually worth a shot but it doesn't work when the seller has other buyers knocking on their door eager to snatch it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well first off yeah i appreciate advice and everyone .02.

i planned on takin the msf course already and although the bike doesnt seem like complete steal, but still not a bad price i think i m going to wait before i really pick out a bike... i mean im stil in school and i feel like i should wait before jus buyin right away and maybe scope out some REAL deals

um i no everyone says 250's are good starters but you can get bored easily after a few months and 500's are good but theres a close price between that and 6's ...

so one more question whats an actual good bike? like specific model? i was lookin at the ninja 500r but idk i no its really not about looks but that makes up a big part for i want somethin good but not too much money and relatively easy to learn on. sounds kinda broad but i just want to get some rough ideas.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just take it easy out there because people are crazy. The MSF course is a great way to learn about basic motorcycle riding, but keep in mind that it doesn't make you the best rider out there. Just apply everything you learn there and continue to improve your skills. Like I said, be safe out there and keep the high speeds for the track.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
around here that bike would never sell for 2k. i see 05's going for 3k. i'd try to talk that guy down some

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Yea it's usually worth a shot but it doesn't work when the seller has other buyers knocking on their door eager to snatch it up.
Haven't been back for a couple days, so I just saw this.

The kid mentioned a couple of friends who are interested in buying it, yes. Obviously, they aren't beating down the guy's door w/the cash though. Otherwise the bike would be sold. If the OP does have the cash, and he brings it w/him (prepared to buy), then I'm sure that he could at least get a couple hundred $ knocked off of the price...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts