Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple more pics.

Also cut the baffle out of the main housing. Going to install a 1.5" perforated core with some packing, weld it back up :)

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
So, in which one of those pictures is the cat? :confused:

Thanks for taking the pics... you do know you are violating EPA laws, don't you? ;)
What they refer to as the cat is in the bottom left pic of the first post.It is just a piece of pipe with holes drilled in it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
No that i just a baffle in the middle the bottom left pic.The one below that one.

I dont know how to add them to a post like that or I would.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nope.
Maybe the thumbnails are in a different order on your screen. It is the pic that you can see all the way to the bottom of the can and there is a piece sticking through the inlet side it just looks like a piece of pipe with small holes in it.

And on a side note that is what the cat in the mid pipe looks like as well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mmmm, got a mystery, how long have you had your bike?
Since Feb.

The amount of packing will directly affect the sound output and tone, so don't be so quick to weld stuff back up until you are satisfied with the sound. Props to you for taking the time to do it "your way".
Got two bag of FMF packing. Was on sale for 5.63, gonna stuff that can:)

Nope.
Maybe the thumbnails are in a different order on your screen. It is the pic that you can see all the way to the bottom of the can and there is a piece sticking through the inlet side it just looks like a piece of pipe with small holes in it.

And on a side note that is what the cat in the mid pipe looks like as well.
Got pics of the cat in the y-pipe? Gonna cut that out later.... maybe.
Cats I have seen lately are ceramic/honeycomb. That other peice I busted out, Is just a metal baffle ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes that is what they call a cat.

I dont have any pics of mid pipe cat,I have decided to probably not mess with that one. The afteremarket systems have bigger pipe from head to muff. So I will probably just wait till I buy a system. But ya never know I get bored easy.:D

Rep to you for much better pics on this topic than mine:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you dremel the end off of it, MacGyver? :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
wow, thanks for the pics. its one thing to see it in the service manual, but its nice to see what they actually look like without having to take my exhaust apart myself.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes that is what they call a cat.

I dont have any pics of mid pipe cat,I have decided to probably not mess with that one. The afteremarket systems have bigger pipe from head to muff. So I will probably just wait till I buy a system. But ya never know I get bored easy.:D

Rep to you for much better pics on this topic than mine:D
Checked your post's, dont know how I missed this:
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=108933

Guess all those dumb ass "Ban" this, remove "Brake" crap LOL :)

Really thou, good thing I didnt see it..... How to looks kinda tough. Punching a 1" hole down the center could probably do the same? But best to remove all the chambers like you did, so flow wouldn't get all jacked up ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is the cat?:confused:

I would have never picked that... it looks like a perforated core.

Again, please keep us informed of the final product... looks like a very interesting project. :cool:
Yep that is the cat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Checked your post's, dont know how I missed this:
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=108933

Guess all those dumb ass "Ban" this, remove "Brake" crap LOL :)

Really thou, good thing I didnt see it..... How to looks kinda tough. Punching a 1" hole down the center could probably do the same? But best to remove all the chambers like you did, so flow wouldn't get all jacked up ;)
With the 1" exit it pulls real hard between 7000 and 9000 rpm.But is still fairly quiet. I have now installed a 2" exit piece and it sounds awsome now.Low grumble but now i have a ton more power on the bottom end and the top is a little sluggish so it is back to the tuning board I guess to get it to run right.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With the 1" exit it pulls real hard between 7000 and 9000 rpm.But is still fairly quiet. I have now installed a 2" exit piece and it sounds awsome now.Low grumble but now i have a ton more power on the bottom end and the top is a little sluggish so it is back to the tuning board I guess to get it to run right.
Opened up the end cap last night to 1.5", hopefully thats good choice from what you mentioned.
Just waiting on the perforated core to get here. Decided just to order some(8 bucks for 16"), was cheaper than running into town to find some.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sweet. I hope it works out for ya.

make sure when you weld it up you get the rear bolts where they go so it doesent look funny

1 - 20 of 35 Posts