Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok..

so i installed the factory pro jet kit on my 99 zx9r...but i cant seem to get it to run right at off idle (from dead stop to 1/8 throttle) with either bogging hardcore, or serious "jerking"..

is the jerking a rich condition? or lean?

i currently have it set at factory pro's recommendations in the chart.

Main Jets---155 on cyl 1&4, 158 on cyl 2/3
Jet Needle---3rd clip (no shims)
Fuel mixture screws---2.5 turns out
slow jet---stock #38
float height---15mm

i have great throttle response from 2nd gear if full throttle is applies, pulls nice and hard throughout 2nd gear and up...just terrible response off start (was pretty embarassing driving in town today, was at a stop light and started to go and it bogged, jerked big time and i looked pretty silly, lol)

i have NEVER synch'd the carbs, as i do not have access to a gauge to set

what do i do next...

--lower or raise float (lower is richening, raising is leaning)
--turn out idle screws?
--synch carbs before i adjust any jetting?

i ride at 3,300 ft, have a muzzy can..not sure if i have stock header or not??
i have a Muzzy adj. ignition rotor, set at +4 degrees with K&N air filter

any inputs, i am loosing my mind taking the tank off, messing with something, then re-install parts and riding, and do it all over again....i set everything back to original setting according to the spec sheet cause i think i set my floats wrong originally, but still bogs/jerks hardcore..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok took her out for a ride this afternoon (on my way to phsyical theropy, ACL surgery 30days ago)...but at least i can ride already right, lol..

i let th ebike warm up to about 165 degrees, seemed to ride pretty decent fron 0-1/8th throttle...the rest of the rpm range seemed great..

let it sit for 1hr for my appt...then started, let warm up to 170-180, and drove home...did some hard pulls (small wheelie) to test out rpm ranges. and its really great...off the throttle is the only issue i believe i have..

but its WAY better then it was with my initial settings..

so i think i will first try the fuel screw....then if no help (or worse) i will lower the float hieght 1mm to 14mm instead of the 15mm its at now...

any one have any inputs...

after i get it to run pretty decent, i am heading to utah for a week for my wedding anniv....when i get back, and have the extra cash, i will either BUY my own carb sync tool, or have the dealer do it for me...but i cant afford to get it done before we leave this friday (11 june)..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok,

messed with it some more...

---set the float height at 16mm
---left jets as they are above
---fuel screw set at 3 turns out
---installed 2 washer shims ABOVE needle clip (no idea why, but spec sheet says to do so)
---left needle clip on 3rd as above

seems to run better...doesnt seem like it has the jerking, but there is still a very slight bog...and i mean very....

might get some new plugs when i get some morfe money..

BUT...any one have a jetting chart for the zx9r?? (98-99)...i looked at my 98 zx9r carbs while i was messing with my 99 zx9r...and its set the same as above (this post) EXCEPT, it had 138 Main jets??? isnt that crazy lean??

no replies on this post...im sure there are some carbs gurus out there that can chime in???

anything???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish I could have any inputs for you as I own a '99 9R as well.
Is the installation difficult to do? I always want to install a dyno jet on my bike, but now when I look at people having problems with it, I'm afriad to do it...

Good luck to you mate!
Wish you get it sorted and let me know how you go

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have been riding quite a bit since my last post...mainly cause i brought the bike with me out of town, and its cheaper on gas, lol..

but i still have a boggiing issue off idle...its only sometimes, say 30-40% of stop and go's..:mad:

i have to basically slip the clutch and rev out of the bog. mid range, and top end are good..

i have yet to synch the carbs cause i didnt have time to get my own sync tool..but i will get one when i can afford it..a nice Motion Pro on on ebay sells for $50-75 :rolleyes:

my last option would be to go completely back to stock and try that out..or pay $300 to have a shop pull 3 or 4 dyno runs and tune it for me :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
sounds like you have too much float. try 13-14mm. I just put one in for drag racing and cant get it figured out going back to original settings. For you follow instructions like they say. get mains correct, then mid range then idle. I have mine close on 2 but still lean on top end with work i have done to it. The jets that came with it were way too lean for my applications. Any questions call factory.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like you have too much float. try 13-14mm. I just put one in for drag racing and cant get it figured out going back to original settings. For you follow instructions like they say. get mains correct, then mid range then idle. I have mine close on 2 but still lean on top end with work i have done to it. The jets that came with it were way too lean for my applications. Any questions call factory.
thanks for the reply...i was beginning to think i was some kind of outkast, lol..

correct me if i am wrong, but didnt the instructions say the higher the float hieght the leaner?

i dont have access to the stuff now cause im out of town...

but hell at this point, i will try anything....

ill give it a shot sometime in the next 2 weeks and report back...

thanks again.

good luck in your work as well

·
Registered
624 Posts
hey bro did you figure it out? i found this little tid bit here from some tech guys for factory pro pertaining to our bikes.

"Most Kaws tune well and easily with the Factory Pro kits - however, some Kaws have a problem with low speed operation -
If that's the case, and you've adjusted and reset the float height leaner and 18mm still isn't lean enough at cruise, and especially if the problem is on 1, 2 or 3 cylinders, please inspect the float valves for the dreaded rubber tip shrinkage.
Some fuel additives attack the float valve rubber tip and cause it to shrink and distort. Now, nobody needs a shrunken, distorted rubber and, being non-round, will allow not shut off fuel in the carbs with the bad float valves and cause very rough low speed running (as the fuel level keeps rising in the carb bowl).
It's not a "common problem", but if the normal tuning stuff doesn't work..........."

i had same problem too, unfortueatly i don't know how well it relates since i got my bike as 3rd owner with a flo commander already installed. i fixed it by richening up the pilot jet circuits via adjustments on the flo commander. worked great. i got so much more power out of it, i finally fubared the orginal clutch from drag launching at the lights out of pure joy at all the power.

btw a flo commander keeps carb flow even across all carbs, kinda like a carb sync.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey bro did you figure it out? i found this little tid bit here from some tech guys for factory pro pertaining to our bikes.

"Most Kaws tune well and easily with the Factory Pro kits - however, some Kaws have a problem with low speed operation -
If that's the case, and you've adjusted and reset the float height leaner and 18mm still isn't lean enough at cruise, and especially if the problem is on 1, 2 or 3 cylinders, please inspect the float valves for the dreaded rubber tip shrinkage.
Some fuel additives attack the float valve rubber tip and cause it to shrink and distort. Now, nobody needs a shrunken, distorted rubber and, being non-round, will allow not shut off fuel in the carbs with the bad float valves and cause very rough low speed running (as the fuel level keeps rising in the carb bowl).
It's not a "common problem", but if the normal tuning stuff doesn't work..........."

i had same problem too, unfortueatly i don't know how well it relates since i got my bike as 3rd owner with a flo commander already installed. i fixed it by richening up the pilot jet circuits via adjustments on the flo commander. worked great. i got so much more power out of it, i finally fubared the orginal clutch from drag launching at the lights out of pure joy at all the power.

btw a flo commander keeps carb flow even across all carbs, kinda like a carb sync.
good cal...ill check it out..i havent had a chance to mess with the bike...rode it in utah while i was there and got back and been busy, just went camping this last weekend at Glacier National Park here in Montana...

i will try and get this worked on this week...

thanks again..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok..

messed with the carbs a few today..but had to stop for the time being to do some yard work.

on my 99 zx9r, here are my settings as of now-----

--MJ 155 on cyl 1/4
--MJ 158 on cyl 2/3
--A/F 3 turns out
--Float height 17mm
--NC 3 clip w/2 washers on top

seems to idle good and 1/8 throttle seems decent, but better then before...doesnt pull like a train at full throttle like it did at 15mm float height...might try going down to 16mm float height and try it again..but seems better then it did at 15mm height...

on my 98 zx9r my settings are-----
--MJ 155 on cyl 1/4
--MJ 158 on cyl 2/3
--A/F 3 turns out
--Float height 17mm
--NC 3 clip w/2 washers on top

and it pulls like a flipping frieght train....same settingas as the 99, but the head on the 98 has been ported/polished, so i assume thats the difference for ythe settings, but not every bike is the same....

·
Registered
35 Posts
glad to see you are getting it running. took mine out to get back to basics in racing and winning and then the rod bearings went out and took the crank with it. BUMMER!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
glad to see you are getting it running. took mine out to get back to basics in racing and winning and then the rod bearings went out and took the crank with it. BUMMER!!

OH MAN, thats terrible..i would cry if that happened, lol..

my 98 zx9r has been running EXCELLENT since i got the carbs tuned...still havent messed with my 99 since the last update on this thread..been super busy...but i will have it worked before the 1st of sept cause im bringing it out of town with me..ill update then when i get it worked...

·
Registered
624 Posts
so i just bought the factory pro kit and put her in. haven't run it yet but the cvk carb prob with low end throttle bog is directly realted to float bowl height from everything i reasearched check this site CV Carb Tuning Procedures

guys that have the muzzy full race found best results at 18 mm float so that's what i'm gonna try cause when i took my carbs bowls off the floats were nearly bottomed out and i have the same issue as you. But i'm running the 162 jets which also effects low range if they are way off.

But carb sync is major as well. i would say your shooting in the dark without doing it first. plus 3 turns out on fuel mix is really high as factory is 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 and most run 2, max 2.5 so i think if it helped your problem it was compensating for real prob.

Some bike nights out here mobile dyno's will show up and run a dyno run plus a/f map for 30 bucks and that is what i use to tune after my mods. I bet somebody will just run a quick run for cheap and that will help point in the right direction.

Good luck bro, i'll let ya know from my tests later this week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AWESOME....great info...please post back with your settings and what mods your bikes....as well as your elavtion ect...

thank you

·
Registered
35 Posts
looking for a 9r motor with a 998 big bore then take it to the dyno and just get the jetting right and no questions if it is right. so i may have a factory pro kit for sale if any one needs one.

·
Registered
624 Posts
alright so got in about 2 hours on the bike with factory pro kit. what a difference. so smooth at low end now. 5-8 engine is bussy with not as much pull. gonna mess with my flowcommander first on that, but idle to 5k monster power, then 8-red monster amazing. so jets are teh sweetness.

Jets outer mains (1,4) 165's
innners (2,3) 162's

idle screw 2 turns all

floats at 15mm all

needle 3rd clip with one washer under 2 over

mods: yoshi full gutted inners pipe after header, shortened yoshi pipe by 10 inches and gutted.
k&n filter
Kleen air mod.
Flow commander pilot jets only
dude that sold it to me said it had cams, but seeing as he left factory 134's in the carbs i am very doubtfull, although the bike cams hard at low rpms, so he may have done the intake for exhaust cam swap that is popular on this bike.

Good luck bro. if it wasn't raining i'd go to dyno tonight and get a/f map. maybe next week.

·
Registered
624 Posts
bike feels fuggin great! i noticed engine was "buzzy" and underpowered from 5-8 cruise but had plenty of power on full throttle. so i made a few adjustments to my flo commander since i had it pretty lean from previous settings, plussss this condition is mostly related to mixture screws in this rpm range at part throttle so i went out a 1/2 turn on them as well. Buzzy ness went away and bike cruises very well now ans i have been killin 929's 750's and 600's all week. LOVIN IT! 1500-3 is falling on its face cold and warm but better warm so i got some tweaking to do there which i think is my floats since i went down to 15mm or my needle might need to drop a notch but i'll update later.

Whats your update bro?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts