Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a zx9 from a buddy which it had a front fork leak and $1200 later it's fixed but is very boggy on low end (got a vance pipe or what ever you call it). I had the carbs synced while it was getting the front fork fixed and the shop said I should get it jetted so I ordered a factory pro. The shop prices around here are going for $300 to install it for me. Now 've worked on cars doing basic stuff but never messed with carbs. I'm 30 years old and learn pretty good so my question to you guys is "would it be kinda easy or simple enough for me to try and install the jet kit?".

·
Registered
367 Posts
jet kits are not usually too hard to install

you'll have to pull the carbs off the bike, take off the float bowls and swap over the main jets (the instructions with the jet kit will tell you what base settings to use for your setup, ie slip on and K&N filter or slip on and stock filter)... probably have to adjust the float height while your there, then take out the slides to swap the stock needles over for the notched needles that come in the jet kit... sometimes have to change over pilot jets, might have to adjust pilot mixture screws, and my jetkit included new slide springs ...

all in all pretty easy, the only slightly hard thing to do is adjust the float height, heres a good guide on how to do that: http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_float_height_adj_procedure.html

if that looks too hard then maybe forget about it.

otherwise, its not too hard. the bike will almost definately run better with the base recommended settings that the jetkit comes with, but it still might not run perfectly... if you want it to run at 100% of its potential then theres a chance your going to have to pull those carbs off a few more times to get it spot on, which can get annoying. thats where you have to ask yourself is it worth the savings if you have to screw around with it for hours and hours till its 100%

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.