Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I know on the new 03's they're just a "slip on" like you said. Undo bolts, install new one, turn it on and it'll configure itself to do everything and manage the fuel properly.

Anyone else care to back me up or say I'm wrong. This what I know and hey, I could be wrong.

A computer is only as smart as the person sitting infront of it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I don't know squat about the '03's, but a "slip-on" slips over the midpipe usually under your right peg and must be clamped tight, whereas a "bolt-on" is a direct replacement of the muffler cannister. I hope it's a bolt-on, because slip-ons can be a real pain if they don't fit just right.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Yea if you're on a 99 chances are you meant to say bolt on, whereby your just replacing the actual can on the end.
If so, yea you just take off the 3 bolts on the end, and the one on the rear footpegs.
slide the can off, slide the new one on, and replace all the bolts..

When you put the 3 on the end back, be sure to tighten them a little bit at a time each, so they are evenly tightened (dont tighten one all the way, then the next all the way, etc.. this could cause the flange to bend and let exhaust out.)
Some people also like to put a little silicon sealer along the lip, I did not on mine, and no problems. (on a slipon you need the silicon for sure)

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
is it a slip-on or bolt-on? listen to what CdnNinjaZX6R said when tightening up the bolts.

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just ordered an V&H S4 slip on. Does anybody know if it is a direct bolt on, or is it going to slip on over the existing pipe around the peg??? this is for an 01 6R. In all the pictures, the bike isn't as new as an 01 that i've seen so i don't know which it is.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm about to put my muzzy's slip on on my 99 6r. I've never messed with anything like that before, so is it just undo bolts and put them back on hte new pipe? Or anything else I should know before starting?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Guys, Weezy and Beezer are right, the pre-2003 models have bolt on systems. There is no mid-way connection in the exhaust pipe. It's the easiest aftermarket fit you'd believe. Undo the hanger and 3 bolts, remove. Attach 3 bolts and the hanger on the new one. Bingo... in biz.

The 2003 model is a SLIP ON system. The muffler and about 2 feet of exhaust pipe are one piece, and connect under the fairing to the header pipe coming from the heads. The new system attaches mid-fairing by slipping onto the header pipe and clamping down, then of course the inevitable hanger clamp.

The name gives it away. Bolt on. Slip on. It seems to have become common practice to just call any replacement exhaust a slip on system these days... I guess because it's easy to "slip" on a bolt-on.

As for the fuel rejet / remap issue, most manufacturers will tell you that you will not NEED to do so when only fitting a bolt on (and usually a slip on too), but I've read MANY tests and articles that talk about that since the new exhaust will inevitably allow much freer airflow (and hence a usual slight boost in high-rpm peak power), a rejet / remap of the fuel delivery system can be very beneficial in curing any rough spots in the powerband resulting from this increase in airflow, and to take full advantage of the new exhaust's characteristics. It may not necessarily INCREASE horsepower, but it will ensure the optimum mixture throughout the entire rpm range. I believe my system is now running slightly lean below 5000rpm and am considering remapping soon to try to cure this, after installing a SLIP-ON system.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
151 Posts
dj dunzie look into the Techlusions TFI box it will allow you to richen the fuel mixture by turning a couple of screws where ever you might need it weather it be low down, mid range, or top end. I dont think you can lean the mixture but you wouldn't have to with a slip-on because slip-on's usually lean it out anyway. I dont know a hell of alot about it but from what I've read it is an excellant value almost half the price of a power commander. Great for slip-on's. If any one knows more about it please let me know as I would like to buy one for my '03 636. Thanks.:)

www.bothendsup.com

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yeah, you're exactly right, it's one-half the price of the PCIII...

I like the self-adjustability, but I wanted to hear from someone who's tried it... do you know anyone who has one? Has anybody on the board tried it yet?

It came recommended from the Canadian Akrapovic distributor... I guess that should be enough of an endorsement...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.