Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With apologies to Wan2Fly, here's a cut-up of a post he made on installing an aftermarket full system on his ZX6RR:

Originally posted by Wan2Fly:
I will have to say that the Akrapovic Full racing system I put on my 2003 ZX-6RR is the best and fastest install yet. It took me 1 hour to remove the old system and install the new Akrapovic system, even torgueing down the screws to the correct tightness. The system I put on from Akrapovic is by far the best system yet, I have had V&H, Muzzy, Yoshi, etc, etc. I would say at this point in time the Akrapovic system is by far the 1st in the racing pipe market. Are they pricey, yes, If you can afford them you will buy them, the other systems are good cost less and as of yet do not compare to the quality, install, and performance that I seen.
"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
137 Posts
It isn’t too bad at all. You don’t need a rear wheel stand, but they are nice to have. All you need to remove is the lower cowlings (both left and right). It’s a good idea to have the service manual and a toque wrench, so you can tighten things back down to spec. You don’t want to over-tighten your exhaust header bolts and break them. I think it’s 18 ftLbs. on those. When you pull the stock one off start from the back removing the muffler first. When you put on the new set start from the headers and work your way back. Don’t tighten stuff until your muffler is in place. That also helps to keep extra stress off the exhaust header bolts.

Jef
03' ZX-6RR
00' Buell X1

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi guys,
How difficult is it to install an aftermarket full exhaust on a 03 zx6r? Do I need a stand? Do I need to take any parts off other than the fairing, and all the stock exhaust parts?
thanks
Jack

Jack
---
Evo VII
ZX-6R 636

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just to save you any problems go ahead and replace the 4 ex. gaskets between the header pipe and the header. This way the new ones will squish to fit your new pipe to your header better.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I looked through the service manual, there is no instruction on exhaust. I am assuming that I should loosen all bolts then proceed to removing the exhaust? Do I need any special tools? I have the basic ones like rachet and sockets and torque wrench..... and just bought the stand today.

Jack
---
Evo VII
ZX-6R 636

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does everyone with a 636 and aftermarket exhaust have to take the radiator off to get to the bolts on the header?

------

Jack
---
Evo VII
ZX-6R 636

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.