Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new full system for my 01 6R and am in the process of removing the stock one. What is the easiest way to remove the header bolts? It looks as though if I remove the fan it should be fairly simple, however, the top fan bolt is nearly impossible to remove. If anyone has done their own could they assist and let me know an easier route to take as well as the biggest problems they had. Thanks[:p]

·
Registered
111 Posts
depends on the year of the bike, 95-97 you can leave the rad on, just pull out the bolts on the bottom, removing the oil cooler, and swing the rad forward, i believe from 98 on you have to remove the rad completely, but i could be wrong, or if you have some good u joints for your ratchet set you might be able to use that, afterall there not that tight... i believe spec is 34N/m, atleast on my 97 they were... :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Code Ninja How hard is it to take the radiator off? I can not locate a service manual so I am kinda winging it. With the removal of the radiator, will fluids leak? And if so what are the steps to replacing? Sorry I am fairly mechanically inclined and could figure it out with some assistance. Would like to get away without removibg the radiator, but if I have to I guess I will. Thanks again

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think you can remove the rad without pulling the hoses off it so you dont have to drain your cooling system, my repair book said somehting along those line, if you still need the info tonight, i can check when i get home....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please do I could use any help you can give, Actually gonna start working on it noe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
with the correct tools you do not need to remove the rad.

that IMO is a huge waste of time. all you need is an 10" socket extension with a metric flex socket. i forget the size 13MM maybe? took me whole 20 mins to r & r the exhaust. be carefull not to damage the radiator fins & also you need to swap the gasket rings from the older header to the new one.

very easy, all i removed was the right cowl to acces the header.

"Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vincent Thomas Lombardi

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all I finally committed to doing it, dropped the radiator a tad, once that was done exhaust was real simple to remove. Now I just fear the installation of the new one. Its a Aprokovic Evolution full syatem should be here next week. Is there anything I should be worried about on this or will it be as simple to put on as it was to remove the stockie. Also was wondering if I can run the bike without the exhaust on-just curious to hear what it would sound like. Also after installation I will need to either trailer or ride my bike to the shop to have it rejetted. Is it safe, on the motor that is, to drive it? its only like 15 miles from where I live. I appreciate all the help thanks [:p]

·
Registered
111 Posts
glad to hear it went well!! mine was pretty painless too, install was a different story, the header wouldnt line up with the bolts, so i just bent the header pipes a couple mm this way or that way, and then it slid right on.. might want to consider buying new gaskets too, my new exhaust didt come with any and you should reuse the crushable gaskets, besides, if you chance reusing the old ones and they dont seal, your going to have to wait till you get new gaskets and do it all over again, in the mean time, not being to ride with your new exhaust will kill you and youll be kicking yourself in the ass for not buying new gaskets... [:p]

i wouldnt run it, it would be running way lean, you might want to cover those holes too so crap doesnt get in there, carfull not to push any of the crap around the holes in....

sounds like you got it undercontrol though, good luck, and youll like the new exhaust!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.