Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've never done this before, and have no one to help me. That being said it seems pretty simple but i have a small pile of stupid questions i am going to ask (i did mention that they might be stupid right?) because i'd rather ask a pile of stupid questions then do this wrong.

Question #1

is this the main air jet i'm supposed to be drilling out? So just unscrew it and drill it out in my hand.

EDIT: upon closer inspection the drill bit supplied fits all the way inside the jet that i circled :) that being said obviously i'm supposed to be drilling out the jet that looks to be pressed in to the right of it.

out of curiosity what is the jet that i circled?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
next questions, so as it seems i remove the needles and re-use everything that's there, minus the needle and re-assemble. Is there anything under the black plastic cap i should be cleaning when i'm in there? should i be shooting a shot of carb cleaner into the hole the needle came out of?

EDIT, as far as cleaning, under the metal cover on the opposite side, i'm going to pull off the float, pilot jet, main jet and holder. From the carb cleaning thread

"Remove the screw holding the float needle valve and remove if necessary... sometimes they are pressed in and not meant to be removed."

So is this pressed in? or should i be removing it and hitting it with carb cleaner.

Anything else i should be hitting with cleaner or doing? it had fuel with no stabil in it over the winter, fresh fuel in the tank now.

Also where are the mixture screws/caps? I took a quick look but dont have anything disassembled and didnt see them. Are they under the plastic cover held down by the intake trumpets?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry should have said this is an ivans jet kit

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
sorry should have said this is an ivans jet kit
You need to drill out one of the air jets... it's under the black plate that has the intake trumpets on it. One is pressed in, one is screwed in. You want to get the one that's pressed in... be careful how you drill.. i drilled mine upside down so the chips would fall out.

the mixture screws are under the caps that need to be drilled out. be careful when drilling and go slow! you don't want to damage the heads of the mixture screws by having too much pressure on the drill. look at the pic... it's that little cap with a hole in it. use ivan's supplied drill bit and get far enough along where you can take the screw he gives you, twist it in there and pull out. That will remove the caps granting access to the mixture screws.

those pieces in the carbs are also not pressed in. the pieces where the float needles sit in. they are removable.. so remove the screws and pull them out. careful when spraying carb cleaner directly on them as there are o-rings in there.. take the o-rings off first.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
you figured out your first question...you could call it the fast air jet or the main air jet.

in pic 2 the idle mixture screw is under the brass cap thats right in the front of the picture...don't go nuts drilling through it...go slow and just poke thru it then stop.

I'd remove all the jets and spray through every passageway...this includes the idle mixture screw (if you do remove the mixture screws be aware there is a spring, washer and o-ring in each hole). I usually try to spray carb clean "backwards" through passageways.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, going to get to this right now. if i have any issues i'll post up.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay so couple issues.

Firstly to make sure i'm doing this right, put the stock nylon spacer under the shim on the new needle, washer back on top of the shim, the put everything back together.

That being the case FML the first needle i pulled out was really stuck in and i lost that tiny little washer that sits on top of the needle, no idea where i'm going to get another one the same size.

Minor issue, my drill wont tighten down to nothing, so i'm going to have to borrow a drill from someone because the little tiny drill bit for drilling out the main air jet is too small for my drill.

Now i'm still trying to decide on one other issue. Stock jets are 155, ivans jets in this kit are 140's. Thats significantly smaller to the extent of being visually smaller when held up side by side. I almost have half a mind to just leave the stock jets in.

I also have to figure out how to measure float height.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
okay so couple issues.

Firstly to make sure i'm doing this right, put the stock nylon spacer under the shim on the new needle, washer back on top of the shim, the put everything back together.

That being the case FML the first needle i pulled out was really stuck in and i lost that tiny little washer that sits on top of the needle, no idea where i'm going to get another one the same size.

Minor issue, my drill wont tighten down to nothing, so i'm going to have to borrow a drill from someone because the little tiny drill bit for drilling out the main air jet is too small for my drill.

Now i'm still trying to decide on one other issue. Stock jets are 155, ivans jets in this kit are 140's. Thats significantly smaller to the extent of being visually smaller when held up side by side. I almost have half a mind to just leave the stock jets in.

I also have to figure out how to measure float height.
ive got some of those washers.. from the ivans kit too.

honestly, whatever the ivans jet kit has in it makes the bike run smooooth. just run with it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the washer that comes in the kit for spacing the needle between the clip and the the nylon washer isnt the same OD as the washer that sits on top of the clip between it and the spring. I could probably get away with using those shims, but might just order a new one from the dealer for the 5 bucks its worth.

and hmmm lean at 12k rpm makes me nervous, seems like a huge jump in jet size, but maybe its way over jetted from the factory? most guys with the dynojet mains i think are running around 150's

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool, jet kit is in minus that washer that i need to replace on the 1 needle.

Put the ivan's jets in, heading over to a buddies now and he's going to show me how to set float height. Then i just have to find a drill that goes small enough to hold that tiny little drill bit for drilling out the air jet.

And i managed to only destroy one of the brass screws for removing the plate off the back lol, guess i'll be replacing that too.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'd still like to know where you guys found a drill where the chuck went small enough to actually hold onto a bit that small.

·
Registered
633 Posts
when i pulledmy carbs down lst week i destroyed 4 screws, had to tak it to my mechanic mate and he got the lst 4 undone..

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when i pulledmy carbs down lst week i destroyed 4 screws, had to tak it to my mechanic mate and he got the lst 4 undone..
they come out pretty easy with vice grips, they're like a dollar each from the dealer, but not in stock so i have to wait a week.

not like i'm going to have the bike on the road before then anyway.

Set float height, ordered the washer i lost for the jet and a new screw for the cover on the float side, just gotta see if the screw to drill out my main jet will fit in my dremel and i'll be done playing with the engine for this season.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
they come out pretty easy with vice grips, they're like a dollar each from the dealer, but not in stock so i have to wait a week.

not like i'm going to have the bike on the road before then anyway.

Set float height, ordered the washer i lost for the jet and a new screw for the cover on the float side, just gotta see if the screw to drill out my main jet will fit in my dremel and i'll be done playing with the engine for this season.
dont think the dremel will work honestly. i found an old plug in drill where the chuck went all the way shut.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I even cut a crove in the top of 1 to get a flat bale screw driver in it.. Im witing for the dealer as well to get more in..

·
Registered
604 Posts
You guys should have just went to the hardware store and matched up the screws you needed to replace. As for the drill it sounds like you need one with a 1/4" chuck. I plan on doing an Ivan's jet kit this summer so keep posting about the install!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys should have just went to the hardware store and matched up the screws you needed to replace. As for the drill it sounds like you need one with a 1/4" chuck. I plan on doing an Ivan's jet kit this summer so keep posting about the install!
i'm basically done and really it's easy as pie, just re-use all the stock bits on the jets and do the rest as told. I wanted the factory copper screw because with my luck i'd cross thread a normal one into the carb, and the washer i'm just too lazy to go find an exact match for (its all metric, would have to go to nut and bolt store and pay a dollar or two for it anyway, not in a huge hurry to get it running right away)

my buddies air drill with my air turned down as low as could power the tool worked perfect as its chuck went all the way down to nothing.

i just drilled out the main air jet, wondering where exactly it goes? I blew out the carb front and back with compressed air however that pressed in jet kind of just dissapears into the carb body, not sure if i should be drilling out anywhere else.

Past that it was a really easy job.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts