Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm 20 living in Australia and planning on buying a 2003 ZX6R Green machine as my first bike. Yes, may sound stupid for a first bike but I'm planning on taking this learning curve as slow as possible.

My problem is though, in Aus, I've looked at full comp insurance & third party insurance and for someone my age, full comp is like $4000 + p.a or there is the option for third party insurance which is like $176 p.a.

What would you decide?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's high in Canada too for guys under 25 years old. What I know a lot of guys do here is only cover the bike for basic coverage plus theft and fire. So that means if you drop your bike or get into an accident that is your fault, it's not covered. You're still covered if it's not your fault through the other guy. Personally, I'll be paying the extra $800/yr just in case. My insurance will be around $2500/yr. It drops to $1300/yr next year when I'm 25.

I guess you have to deicide if you can afford to take an $11,000 loss (or whatever it costs in Aussie $$) if you have an at-fault accident.

-------------------------
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
2002 Toyota Celica GT
"Pilots make smoother approaches"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That really sux so I guess it's going to be just the 3rd party plus fire & theft for awhile. I'm going for my license sometime within the next two weeks so wish me luck [8D]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey dude. Unless u take home a mega fat pay check every week then there is no way u are going to be able to justify getting full comp. insurance on a bike here in australia, not at 20 years old anyway. I am 19 and I have been road riding for two years, i just got my full open bike license a couple of weeks ago (Yay, no more riding on my 250!!) Third party prperty damage is the way to go. Most companies won't offer fire & theft on a bike cause they are stolen so friggin much, so third party property is about as good as it gets for folks like u and me. I think I'm paying around $175 AUD through SuncorpMetway. And about the bike.... all I can say is enjoy, be careful and when you least want to see a cop/radar....u will see one...and they will see you....keep those eyes open. safe riding.[:p]

·
Registered
64 Posts
well damm, doesn't that throw a spanner in the works! it was only about a month ago a mate let me take his 2001 zx6r down the "old road" and that put the hook in me big time! now all I seem to do is wonder what the 03 model is like and how am I going to pay for the insurance to ride one!, allthough being 25 I'm sure it would become a little cheaper. SuncorpMetway sounds like it's worth checking out, thanks for the info guys

...it can only go as quick as you can ride it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got kind of a big car at the moment which is costing like $360 Full Comp so I figure I'll be saving money on Insurance, Fuel & if I get something new, then servicing as well. I'm assuming bikes are like cars were you get 3 years free servicing or atleast one year? Someone confirm?

Wolf, I've done it the other way around, just went onto my open car license in September last year so I can go straight onto my open motorcycle license.

·
Registered
147 Posts
MooX,

as to the free servicing, don't count on it.. I just had my first (1000kms)service done and it cost me $145 n all they did was change the oil and oil filter and check the mixture screws on the carbies.
Can't imagine what a major service is gonna cost me...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wolf,

Would you say it's worse than getting your car serviced price-wise?

Oh and I went to do this Q-Ride thing to get my license today, first ride on a bike and really enjoyed it. Have to go back tomorrow morning for a final few things then a road ride on a 1200cc Harley :) But once I get a bike, then it's onto a ZX6R.. oh baby!

Wish me luck...

Cheers

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by wolf

MooX,

as to the free servicing, don't count on it.. I just had my first (1000kms)service done and it cost me $145 n all they did was change the oil and oil filter and check the mixture screws on the carbies.
Can't imagine what a major service is gonna cost me...
Talking to a mate at Canberra Motorcycle Center you have to pay for all new bike services unless they are covered under warrenty or insurance including your first 1000kms service, but this can be discussed with your store they might chuck your first one in for free with the bike. Best people to ask are your local dealers.

MoonX what state are you in 'cause more times then not, they will take away your L/P's if you are caught riding a non-legal bike. You know they arn't just limiting the types of bikes your allowed to ride to be a pain, but as always its your life/body.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes the cost of insuring a bike when under the age of 25 in Oz is not cheap. I'm 32 and Rating 1 and it still is quite high. I did the shop around, and there was a huge variance in prices, ranging from $750 to $2300.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Plain and simple don't lie to your insurance providor an don't with hold information that could be important. Most major insurance places ask you for your licence number and what type of license you have. NRMA and Western QBE wouldn't insure me if I had an unacceptable bike when I was on my P's. Please ask before you pay for any insurance as I would hate to see what happend to a mate last year. He kept bagging me as I only had a zzr250 and he had a CBR600 we were both on our p's. One weekend he hit some loose gravel on the road and sent the bike for 6. He was fine till the insurance company rang and told him that as he didn't tell them he was on his P's riding a 600 they wouldn't pay.

·
Registered
147 Posts
MooX,
i don't think servicing your bike will be more expensive than servicing a new car but it depends really on how much you wanna spend on the bike (more expensive oil, etc.) good luck with your Q-Ride test. i'm sure you will pass. I just got my opens through q-Ride bout a month ago. BTW where bouts do u live we should meet up for a ride sometime. i am in Brisbane.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For all of you talking about whether I can get a 600cc bike with my p's license, I don't know about everywhere else but as it is in QLD (Wolf, I'm in brissie too :) but if you have your opens on your car license, then when you go for your m'cycle license, you can then get your license is not limited like NSW and other states. I started Q-Ride on a CB250 and after the first day moved upto a Harley Sportster 1200 which in turn will put me on a unrestricted license as soon as I get my license which will hopefully be this Saturday.

Wolf, where in brisbane are you? and drop us an email sometime.
[email protected] :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.