Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which you guys do? Im finding it hard to justify paying a quarter of what the bike is worth every year. Bought the bike 5500 (2002) and insurance quoted at 1700 a year for full bike coverage. The min (CA) is about 170 a year. Really im only worried about it being stolen but I got a disc brake and alarm for that. You guys think its worth the 1700 a year?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I pay roughly $190 a year for liability. I figure that if I wreck it, in the long run it would be cheaper to fix myself than pay the higher insurance, deductible, etc. But I don't have an '03 either. If I did, I would probably get full coverage, depending on the cost.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I've been quoted anywhere from 4,000 to 10,000([xx(]) USD a year for full coverage. Liability only runs 390 a year. Take a guess at which one I have [V].

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by TommyV

$10,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]
The approximate amount was $10,982 a year. I had to hang up the phone as the lady on the other end told me, "oh wait, we forgot to factor in your accident."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. If I wait til Sept I can bring down to 107 a year for liability. But I might pay the extra 100 a year so I can ride now. Who knows. Wasnt sure if I was the only one going "are you kidding me?". Thanks

Shtanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
Are you sure they didn't make a mistake and mean $400 to $1000?

That's beyond ludicrous.... I pay $360 / yr for full coverage w/ USAA... I know being 34 helps but still ......

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Insurance companies are legally sanctioned thieves. I pay $79 a year for liability. Does it make you feel any better that some of the largest buildings in the world are the corporate headquarters of insurance companies.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I pay $121- a month for seven months of the year, the other 5 months I don't get billed for, but am still fully insured for that period of time. 'Pay as you ride' they say... I say we have long winters. As much as I hate to pay insurance there is no argument that the chances of something going wrong, even terribly wrong, are quite high.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I pay $604 Canadian (roughly $420 US) annually for full coverage with State Farm. Wouldn't save much dropping to liability only.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by snotrocket

Are you sure they didn't make a mistake and mean $400 to $1000?

That's beyond ludicrous.... I pay $360 / yr for full coverage w/ USAA... I know being 34 helps but still ......
I wish it were a mistake. For a 23 Year old in Las Vegas this is the norm. Just to give you some perspective, my father is 47 has a clean record and is an MSF instructor of 20 years. His premium on my ZX6 here would be about 2,200 a year. It's absolutely ridiculous. They take all of your money and if you have an accident they nitpick and tell you that they don't need to pay out. I hate Insurance companies more than (edited, sorry got carried away)!! :(:([}:)]:([}:)]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie

I pay $604 Canadian (roughly $420 US) annually for full coverage with State Farm. Wouldn't save much dropping to liability only.
Is that under an umbrella policy?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by Six-R

Originally posted by dj dunzie

Is that under an umbrella policy?
No... State Farm rocks for bike rates if you (1) have your car(s) with them and (2) have a clean record and (3) have good riding experience.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Age is the biggest issue. I'm 21. The dealer I was at put in if I was 35-40 and it brought it down from 3,000 to about 600.

·
Registered
700 Posts
what insurance companies you guyz go with anyways?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well, 27 in a couple of weeks.. Went with Progressive. New rider, some experience (they said to count dirt bike experience which I have 2 and told them 3) MOre than just liability, opted for the comprehensive (i.e. theft..) with a deductable of $500. No collision. I figure I would be the stupid one if I hit someone, but if someone hit me, then they would pay.. all in all.. $630 a year....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm 32, perfect driving record (not for long), and pay $1500/year full coverage. Have also been quoted upwards of $5000 from shit companies. I asked how could they justify that price and had no answer. In Texas, I find it limited when it comes to sportbike insurance. Seems like all the major players (State Farm etc.) won't even touch a sportbike.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Fairing is about half the cost of a premium. I went with progressive and told them not to insure the fairing, becuase they buy from the manufacturer, which is something I can do myself. (If the bike is even repairable after an accident) This broght my 2200/yr premium to around 990. Go figure. All you really need is liablity. Your med insurance will cover anyting you need at a hospital. Theft? Well, don't leave it parked somewhere unsafe or unwatched, and you'll save a ton of money. Be sure to get uninsured motorist insurance, in some areas it's a high cost (like Florida) but it's worth it becuase if someone hits you without insurance, you get stuck with the med bills until you can sue the offender. Take MSF to cut dpwn some of the premium as well, and avoid tickets like the plague. ;)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Some insurance companies also take into account the age and size of your bike. I got quoted $280/year with full coverage on a 1990 ex500.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.