Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i fliped my bike and have about $5,000 worth of damage... i'm scared to report it b/c i fear that they'll pay it out and drop me or simply double my rates. i have some cheap insurance called american modern. i pay $800 a year for full coverage, i think 20/50/20. i can prolly fix everything for about 2,000. I have a $1000 deductable what do you guys think i should do?

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
How old are you?? What is your record like?? Do you want to pay out your ass for the next few years to get some quick cash now?? Do you care what your bike looks like?? Can you turn it into a track bike for cheap?? Do you know where Autobahn is at?? (http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/)

I would not turn it in, but that is me.

--David

·
Registered
158 Posts
you will probably pay more over the course of the next few years in rate increase than the actual cost to fix your bike yourself. If you have the money do it.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Originally posted by Rob94
you will probably pay more over the course of the next few years in rate increase than the actual cost to fix your bike yourself. If you have the money do it.
[:+1]

Insurance sucks!

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i know a guy thats paying almost 3g's a year cause he totalled a bike and turned it in. he was paying 1100$

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah, unless it's totaled or unridable and you don't have the $$ to fix it don't turn it in. I'd trade looks just to get it ridable. Get a drill and some zip ties for the plastic and move forward. (looks like stitch scars for your bike!)

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
well then...whats the point of even having insurance???? fuck that the rates go up..thats bullshit. you pay monthly assuming you'll be covered. the fact that they then increase your rates is total bullshit.
i hate fuckin insurance. biggest scam in history....well besides taxes.....

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yep. It really is only valuable for when you fuck up someone elses shit. Inevitebly, if someone hit you you'd want your bike/car back to the condition it was in before the **** wrecked your shit. Same thing for others and you/we probly wouldn't have the $$ to pay out of pocket to fix their shit.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Thats why I only have liability, the insurance company is going to get their money one way or another. Most people say I'm stupid since my bike is an 05, but this is how I look at it. Whats an 05 636 going for, maybe $6500 for one in really good condition? Minus the $1000 deductible, minus the $2000 a year premium, minus $1000 you could probably get from parting out your wrecked bike. Thats $2500 net gain from carrying full coverage IF you total the thing within a year. If you can make it 2 years without wrecking, its paid for itself. And that doesn't even include higher rates you'll get for actually making a claim. Of course my situation might be different than yours, I am 25 (24 when I got quoted) and I have a garage so I don't have to worry about theft.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeshum [V] i wanted to be a cool kid... and i was for about 5 seconds. i wish i knew ahead of time how deep cool kids pockets should be

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have full coverage that runs $480 a year. (AAA of Southern California) I don't think I would report the wreck if it was my own fault, the bike was ridable, and no one else was involved.

Back in 2003 I was hit by a chick driving a Celica (got T-boned at low speed) the bike got hit on the right side, and fell on the left. The damage was all superficial and I took the $5,000 check to "fix my bike" and paid off a huge chunk of my loan.

So my advice I guess is, if you do report it, use the money wisely. If you sink the money into the bike just to make in new again you will probably be at a net loss when you sell it later.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
im in the same situation as you - crashed my bike and have $5000 worth of repairs, altho that includes $1000 of labor fees from the dealer. i thought it was ridable (on the way home from the crash nothing went wrong and it felt the same) until i went to the dealer and he showed me that the triple tree was damaged.

you might wanna get it checked out first by a mechanic to make sure its purely superficial. i thought my damage was superficial until i got it checked out. if i kept riding my bike, the triple tree coulda broke, leaving me with some nice tank slappers....

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Originally posted by ridetillidie
thanks for all the info guys... i think i'm switching to liablity lol
If you do that, make sure you never leave her vulnerable to theft, I did that with my second bike and two months later it was stolen...[V]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.