Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into replacing the stock tail light with a integrated blinker unit and was hoping for some input on manufacturers. From what I have read the Clear Alternatives are garbage, and the vfx?? are great but sure are expensive. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I bought the one from tobefast.com. It was $60, but you have to put the new LED board in your original t/l. So unless you are good w/tools (including a dremel), it won't work for you. If you are though, it's a good buy. It comes w/a two year warranty and it has worked great for me, very bright.

BTW, the clear alternatives is garbage. Mine lasted less than one season. JUNK!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm running a clear alternative integrated rear light, and I haven't noticed any of the problems you typically hear about. Anyway, if it starts to crap out on me, I'll just year out the old leds and just solder in my own.

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
I have the clear alternatives on..had it for 2 seasons now..

And just recently, when i tap the brake it wont light up...its like an intermittent thing.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
i have VFX, it's fuckin' awesome. $300 for the unit and they'll refund you like 160 of it if you send them your OEM tail light back. it's not that bad for a nice clean tail and some blinkers that people will definitely see.

·
Banned
150 Posts
i have VFX, it's fuckin' awesome. $300 for the unit and they'll refund you like 160 of it if you send them your OEM tail light back. it's not that bad for a nice clean tail and some blinkers that people will definitely see.
Unless I read this wrong. They charge you for the unit and charge you again for the original OEM. Once you send in the OEM, they refund you the money they charged you for it.

So basically, the unit cost about $300, the OEM $160, they charge you $460. After you send them the OEM, they refund you the $160. Doesn't really make any sense to me. Not sure why they'd charge you for something you're sending them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Unless I read this wrong. They charge you for the unit and charge you again for the original OEM. Once you send in the OEM, they refund you the money they charged you for it.

So basically, the unit cost about $300, the OEM $160, they charge you $460. After you send them the OEM, they refund you the $160. Doesn't really make any sense to me. Not sure why they'd charge you for something you're sending them.
No... What he's saying is the whole thing is $300. As in, if you just bought the VFX light straight, they'd charge you $300. Now if you send back your stock light, they REFUND $160 OF THE $300. Better?:)

·
Banned
150 Posts
No... What he's saying is the whole thing is $300. As in, if you just bought the VFX light straight, they'd charge you $300. Now if you send back your stock light, they REFUND $160 OF THE $300. Better?:)
No, I understand perfectly what he said. I was talking about the site. I guess he's refering to the Hot Swap program. Maybe they wrote it up wrong or something, but the way it's worded, it doesn't go with what he's saying.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

nah by "unit" i meant a modified taillight. they charge you $300 for their tail light, already modified and ready to install. and then, if you choose to do so, you take the oem tail light you took off your bike and send it to them and they'll credit you back 130 bucks or however much it is. making the tail light $170.

or you can go the long route and send them your tail light off your bike, they'll modify it and then send it back.

or you can take the hard route and they'll just send you the unit you need to modify your own tail light and you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
$244 + shipping for the VFX Tail Light complete plug and play

http://www.vfxkits.com/c281559p16783989.2.html

Buy a cheap OEM tail light on eBay and send it in to get it modified when you get it back you swap it with your tail light and that's it.

Even if it does take a little longer you can still ride.

:)

looks like you cant get the whole light setup anymore from VFX, or you cant send yours in for work or swap. also looks to be out of production, i got mine for sale...;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I read it as they charge you $300. Then you send them the OEM and you get $160 back, so you are only actually paying $140 for the new light. 300-160=140. That's my take on it...may be wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts