Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I got my Integrated signal/tail light in the mail today, and I'm confused with the wiring. After I unplugged the wires from my original tail light and signals, I was left with the "Plug n play" wire for the tail light, and 4 other wires (2 for each signal).

Why I'm confused tho is there are only two wires coming out of the new integrated tail light. One for each signal.

After playing around with wires, I guessed that the oem signal light needs two wires, one for the bulb and one for blinking? correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm right, how will I make my integrated tail light work properly and start blinking. I'm still a beginner with all of this so I'd appreciate all the help. Thanks in advanced :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey everybody,

I got my Integrated signal/tail light in the mail today, and I'm confused with the wiring. After I unplugged the wires from my original tail light and signals, I was left with the "Plug n play" wire for the tail light, and 4 other wires (2 for each signal).

Why I'm confused tho is there are only two wires coming out of the new integrated tail light. One for each signal.

After playing around with wires, I guessed that the oem signal light needs two wires, one for the bulb and one for blinking? correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm right, how will I make my integrated tail light work properly and start blinking. I'm still a beginner with all of this so I'd appreciate all the help. Thanks in advanced :)
Stock wires are neg and pos thats y u have 4 coming out of the bike with leds u only use the positive one on each side the brake light acts as the ground..make sure i use a resistor inbetween the pos on the light and the pos coming from ir bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
254 Posts
I can tape the neg wires from each side coming out of the bike off...so that will leave ur 2 positive wires coming out hook them up to the integrated tail like i said use resistors to slow the blink speed..
The resistors will get hot so be careful where u put them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can tape the neg wires from each side coming out of the bike off...so that will leave ur 2 positive wires coming out hook them up to the integrated tail like i said use resistors to slow the blink speed..
The resistors will get hot so be careful where u put them

Thanks Jason! Is there a specific kind of resistors I should be looking for or are they all the same?

·
Registered
254 Posts
U may or may not need them hook them up as i said then check the flash rate.
Im suprised they didnt come with them..as mine did.LEDS do not get as hot as normal bulbs so the resistor heat up then opens to let current through to the lights...
Long story short if they r not blinking really fast dont use them
Mine r white blocks with wires coming out each side sort like a online look if u need them ebay may have them use google and u will see what they look like

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U may or may not need them hook them up as i said then check the flash rate.
Im suprised they didnt come with them..as mine did.LEDS do not get as hot as normal bulbs so the resistor heat up then opens to let current through to the lights...
Long story short if they r not blinking really fast dont use them
Mine r white blocks with wires coming out each side sort like a online look if u need them ebay may have them use google and u will see what they look like

I just tried connecting wires and leaving the negative wire taped with no business. But the lights wouldn't blink at all, it would just stay on. The front two are also connected and they too stay on with no blinking.

The only time this used to happen when I was running the oem turn signals, is when one bulb of a specific side is disconnected. So if the front right light is disconnected the rear right will not blink and will stay on. Again I'm a beginner I hope you bare with me here lol

Will a resistor fix this or is there something else I need to know.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just tried connecting wires and leaving the negative wire taped with no business. But the lights wouldn't blink at all, it would just stay on. The front two are also connected and they too stay on with no blinking.

The only time this used to happen when I was running the oem turn signals, is when one bulb of a specific side is disconnected. So if the front right light is disconnected the rear right will not blink and will stay on. Again I'm a beginner I hope you bare with me here lol

Will a resistor fix this or is there something else I need to know.
Sounds to me like u do need a resistor make sure u plug the brake light in before u hook up the turn sigs cause thats the ground...
It dont matter of the front r oem just make sure the bulbs work as soon as u hook up the brake light u should see it light up. After u see its working then hook the wires to ur turn sigs..make sure u r using the positive from the bike..u can use a tester to find the hot wire..

·
Registered
254 Posts
If all bulbs are in working order and just staying on u for sure need a resistor to regulate the current..they will only cost u a few bucks..but just be sure u hook all the wires up right..
And plug the brake light in so it will ground

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds to me like u do need a resistor make sure u plug the brake light in before u hook up the turn sigs cause thats the ground...
It dont matter of the front r oem just make sure the bulbs work as soon as u hook up the brake light u should see it light up. After u see its working then hook the wires to ur turn sigs..make sure u r using the positive from the bike..u can use a tester to find the hot wire..
That's exactly what I needed, I used the old signal bulbs as a resistor, taped them up and put em under the tail for now. Blinking nicely :)
Thanks again for all the help much appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
There should still be a wire harness for the stock taillight so you shouldn't have to cut anything, simply unplug and replace. To hook up the signals, use the 2 stray wires to tap into the power wires for the existing signals. If you remove the stock turn signals, just cap off the unused ground wires as the new setup is grounded through the wire harness.I am Locksmith by profession so you must do that in order to get rid of problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts