Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten my second ZX6R after having a lot of other bikes. R1, TL1000R, TL1000S, F4i, ZX7R, GSXR 600, Katana 600, KLX250R, KX125 and I think that covers it. They are all great in their own ways. From my street and track experience the ZX6R is one of the best all around bikes. I can take it on the hills or the track and have a great time.

The 2001 ZX6R I bought recently is going to be a streetfighter. I have been a member of many other lists for my other bikes and something I always liked was sharing what parts could be swapped out for other parts on other bikes. When I had a TL1000S the TLPlanet website was filled with swaps such as putting 6 pot calipers on from a GSXR to replace the 4 pots.

Who knows what parts are interchangeable on the ZX6R with other bikes and years? I assume a lot of the ZX9R and ZX12R parts can be swapped. It usually makes fixing things cheaper and sometimes makes an improvement to swap. Like the front end swap for a GSXR 600 to an upsidedown 750 front end.

Thanks in advance. Here is a picture of the bike in the early stages of conversion. More to come.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I don't think too many parts from the ZX9 and 12 are interchangeable. There might be a few parts that could be borrowed from the 9, but plastic isn't one of them. I think the bikes are almost identical other then the motor, so that's probably not much of a difference.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the ZX9R and ZX6R are almost identical then that is exactly what I was looking for. That means you can swap out a swingarm on either bike? Or you can use the wheels and just bolt them on?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Clip-ons, instrument panel, rearsets, bar switches, signals. These parts should all be the same. Radiator fan also.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you want to know what parts are interchangeable, go to buykawasaki.com and look up the part numbers.
BC

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was also asking if any parts from other bikes which may be upgrades from the normal zx6R parts. Like an upside down front end swap.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, you would need to have the parts in hand to figure out if the USD fork swap is possible.
Both forks, wheel w/rotors, both triple clamps, clip ons with controls, and the mounting nut for the upper triple clamp. And the bearings.

I have no idea if the swap would work. The bottom bear is the same on both bikes, but the upper bearing on the new 636 are the same part, but the top on your 6r is smaller than the bottom.

Who knows.
BC.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the situation has come up.

I have the chance to buy a 1997 fully adjustable rear Ohlins shock for my bike. I check the Kawasaki website and the 1997 rear shock is part # 45014 or 45014-1590 the 2001 rear shock part # is 45014-1740. If they are the same length I should be able to use the Ohlins. Has anyone got the answer or has used a 1997 on a newer model?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have a '95-'97 rear shock that measures 12 11/16" from the center of the hole where the top mount goes to the center of the hole where the bottom bolt goes. The stock rear on the '95-'97 has an external resevoir. I think you should just sell the Olin to me since I have a '95.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.