Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although there are A LOT of tire threads on the forum, I decided to go ahead w/this one, because there is NOT much info (at least that I've come across) about sport touring tires.

Trig was the one who introduced me to these tires. I had read in the past that sport touring tires are a viable option for aggressive street riding, but I wasn't convinced until I spoke to Trig about it. So on w/the review...

I purchased the Diablo Strada's from Motorcycle Superstore for $240.98 shipped.

I've put about 150 miles on the new tires so far, and I'm still playing w/the tire pressures a little bit to find what best suits me. However, I gotta say that these tires are confidence inspiring for an intermediate (at best) street rider, such as myself.

My last set of tires had flattened out (especially the rear), mostly because I used them to commute for part of the spring/summer. So getting used to the steeper profile again took several miles, but since those first few miles I've got nothing but good things to say about the tires. The bike is tracking very well under medium lean (I've still got about 3/4" of unused tire on each side). Even if I hit a bump or pot hole in a turn, the bike seems to stay noticeably more settled than w/my old tires. The profile of the Strada's is fairly neutral (which is good for the kind of riding that I do). They also seem to heat up very quickly, which is always a plus. The tread on the tires looks to be deeper than some of the supersport tires (which is probably one reason why they last so long). Well, that's pretty much it for my initial observations on these. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them...

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thats good news cuz im gonna need a meatier tire if i ever get a job haha.. and have to commute.

i got corsa 3's now and i love them but most of the places im applying to are far down 684.. gonna leave a nice flat top on my tires so.. we'll see.

i'm also thinking about picking up one of these in the near future..

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/2

they were at indy and its quite an impressive product. then if i wanna change tires it should take me no more than a half hour.. very interested in having one of those, some people would rather have it done.. but being able to change on your own whenever seems pretty good to me.
Buy it! Then you can change my tires from now on...:D

Seriously, that thing is pretty expensive, but if you do tire changes for your buddies at $25 a tire, you could def. make that money back in a season or two...

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Glad you like em so far man! Post up a review after you get a couple thousand miles of real riding because I'm really interested in another persons perspective on them with some hard riding in there. I've realized 32 PSI and up is pretty much needed on these tires. It seems that if you go any lower you get a squirmish feel, but I think it's because it's a harder rubber on a more flexible belt or something like that.

I'm also looking to buy a No-Mar tire changer but probably won't till I need a new set of tires and can afford to start getting to the track more often. Changing your own tires is schweet!

·
Powerhungry
38,146 Posts
Glad you like em so far man! Post up a review after you get a couple thousand miles of real riding because I'm really interested in another persons perspective on them with some hard riding in there. I've realized 32 PSI and up is pretty much needed on these tires. It seems that if you go any lower you get a squirmish feel, but I think it's because it's a harder rubber on a more flexible belt or something like that.

I'm also looking to buy a No-Mar tire changer but probably won't till I need a new set of tires and can afford to start getting to the track more often. Changing your own tires is schweet!
the need for higher psi is prob due to the deeper tread, more rubber. lets the tire "walk" more.
i notice this on my offroad mud tires on my trucks too.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Actually, I have the rear at 32 right now, the front is around 34-35 (I usually run a little higher pressure up front).

When I get some real miles on the tires, I'll post again w/my thoughts on 'em.

Thanks again, for the info on these Trig...

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Actually, I have the rear at 32 right now, the front is around 34-35 (I usually run a little higher pressure up front).

When I get some real miles on the tires, I'll post again w/my thoughts on 'em.

Thanks again, for the info on these Trig...

No problem man. Props to Cyberdos as well since I wouldn't be here preaching about them had he not convinced me to try them myself. I have at least 10k on them now and need to go put some more air in them to get them back up to 36/36. A cold front must have kill the pressure or something.

I'm going to start using a sharpy to write the date and mileage on the inside of my rim so I can get an accurate count of how much mileage and time I got on a set of tires. Had I not gone to Colorado on these they would probably make it an entire year through 15,000+ miles. Who knows, maybe they still will!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

I just ordered a set of these last night. I have high hopes for them. With all the miles I put on my bike each week (around 500) I need something that lasts longer.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys.

I just ordered a set of these last night. I have high hopes for them. With all the miles I put on my bike each week (around 500) I need something that lasts longer.

Well then, these sound like the perfect tire for you...

·
Registered
493 Posts
The Pirelli Diablo Strada is a great tire, very similar to the Dunlop D220 sport touring tires. I ran D220's on my 05' CBR600RR and loved them but a couple years ago Pirelli had a deal going where if you bought the Diablo Strada rear tire from a Parts Unlimited vendor and sent in a copy of the receipt Pirelli would send you the matching front tire FREE. I bought the rear tire from my local Parts Unlimited retailer and sent in the receipt and Pirelli sent me the front for free.

·
Registered
313 Posts
im 95% sure my dad runs the diablo strada's on his '00 ZR7, granted that is more the bike these tires are meant for, but he's been happy with them, he just got back on sunday from a 3500 mile trip from pittsburgh to colorado, with a lot of spirited riding through the rockies (that was the main reason for the trip), and he didnt have anything bad to say about the tires, he also uses them to commute to work pretty regularly, including getting caught in rain occasionally and hes never really had an issue, they seem like a pretty good commuting/semi aggressive street riding tire

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts

It works, but doesn't care how your rims look afterwards. There is a lot of mods that need to be done (cheap ones though) immediately to save future wheels from getting scratched. The No-Mar is a much better investment, and even if you're the only one using it to change tires, it will eventually pay for itself and then some.

Unless your like 92 and about to die. That might not happen for ya.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been through 1 1/2 sets of the Diablo Strada's on my '05 Katana 750. I bought it with the factory front and a Diablo Strada on the rear. I put 8k miles on the rear that was on the bike before replacing it. I have no idea how many it racked up before I bought the bike. I've got 3k on a new front and rear and they look and feel like new.

I've done two track days at Talladega GPR on them and they STILL look like new! I do a lot of commuting on them as well.

I've been very pleased with the center line wear. It isn't flattening out at all in the center. I get good feedback from them and the grip great on the sides.

They seem to warm up quickly and maintain a steady grip even at severe lean angles (dragging knees, pegs, etc.)

I'm looking at a zx6r right now and will probably put some of these on it for the commuting longevity.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I've been through 1 1/2 sets of the Diablo Strada's on my '05 Katana 750. I bought it with the factory front and a Diablo Strada on the rear. I put 8k miles on the rear that was on the bike before replacing it. I have no idea how many it racked up before I bought the bike. I've got 3k on a new front and rear and they look and feel like new.

I've done two track days at Talladega GPR on them and they STILL look like new! I do a lot of commuting on them as well.

I've been very pleased with the center line wear. It isn't flattening out at all in the center. I get good feedback from them and the grip great on the sides.

They seem to warm up quickly and maintain a steady grip even at severe lean angles (dragging knees, pegs, etc.)

I'm looking at a zx6r right now and will probably put some of these on it for the commuting longevity.

:woot:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts