Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a supplier that has Delrin rod in lime green that actually matches the Kaw Lime Green...they've also got colors that would be a close match for Magma Red and Plazma Blue...I'm going to order some to make my frame sliders and swingarm spools. If anyone might be interested, let me know...I can turn them on my lathe and give them some kinda cool look...

Lemme know what ya think...

GunRunner

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic of the delrin sample against my bike. Its a dead on match in person, but the pic doesn't do it justice (mainly due to the cutmarks in the end of the material). You can get the idea of how close of a match it is though...

GunRunner

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm making mine like the regular cut sliders, since they are much stronger. Not sure how much I would charge yet, but the 2" delrin cost me $32/+shipping...

GunRunner

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
I am very interested, but before I sigh on, I too would like to see the final product.

·
Registered
100 Posts
those look great!!!

I contacted the ebay seller about getting some red/orange delrin. She said she's working on it they only have 1" diameter right now. Was the frame slider stock 1.5" or 2"?

I also bought a set of Shogun sliders off ebay for $.99!! they are white and i heard that white Delrin can be dyed with RIT fabric dye. Figure I'll try that before ordering the orange Delrin. The article i read says the hot water opens the pores in the Delrin and the dye infuses throughout the material

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I prefer the look of the black frame sliders. IMO, the bike has enough green. Too much of a good thing... you know?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by sgtgeo
those look great!!!

I contacted the ebay seller about getting some red/orange delrin. She said she's working on it they only have 1" diameter right now. Was the frame slider stock 1.5" or 2"?

I also bought a set of Shogun sliders off ebay for $.99!! they are white and i heard that white Delrin can be dyed with RIT fabric dye. Figure I'll try that before ordering the orange Delrin. The article i read says the hot water opens the pores in the Delrin and the dye infuses throughout the material
I used 2" for the sliders, and turned it down on my lathe to 1.75" diameter. I'm not too sure about using die though since the RIT is water based...may turn out nice for only a short while...if it looks good, my suggestion would be to use some type of sealant to close the pores back up, otherwise the color will wash out...

Originally posted by zack4president
I prefer the look of the black frame sliders. IMO, the bike has enough green. Too much of a good thing... you know?
My bike is gowing greener lately, lol...but if I get too many scratches in it, it probably won't stay green...lol

GunRunner

·
Registered
47 Posts
The dye wearing off is a concern. From what i read it actually penetrates all the way through the material while the derlin is hot. Good call on the sealer though.

I bought the Shogun sliders mainly for the hardware to mount the "puck" either way $.99 for shogun sliders can't be beat!!!

Are you going to start making these and selling?

if so i may just get some orange ones from you

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can make the sliders no problem...using the 2" stock, it takes me about 15 minutes or so to turn both of them...depending on the outside edge bevel desired...I may get some black delrin to play with some other designs...something other than the plain looking sticks...lol

I can do them for you...send me the material, and $20....or I'll supply the material and come up with a price...

GunRunner

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the RIT dye wearing off... we used it to custom dye our white lacrosse stick heads for years. The dye is still looking good considering the sticks were used... and that was like 10 years ago.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some better pics of the sliders...just pardon the left side of the bike, it rained and now I have sand and other crap on it...too chilly right now to wash it but I'll clean it up later once its warmed up a little more...lol...

GunRunner

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Chilly in Texas? :D C'mon....what did it get down into the 70's? Seriously though, I was worried that the green sliders were going to be a little too much. I was wrong. I really like them. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
GL with the development and sale of your product.
great idea but i personally prefer the look of black sliders
sounds like you definatly have a market though

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not realy pushing them to sell, just offering it to anyone that wants sliders to match, rather than contrast...I just like the fact that they kind of blend in myself...but I'll probably cut some black ones later if I repaint my bike...

GunRunner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.