Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the forum, although I have been lurking during the decision making/ purchasing process, which resulted in my bringing home a 2003 ZX-6R.

I thought I would introduce myself. I live in Northern AZ, and have been riding for nearly 20 years. I’ve always been about performance, and have mostly owned sportbikes, but I also enjoy touring on two wheels.

My last sportbike was a ZX-12R, with which I did a few track days:

and a little drag racing:

I also ride, and tour on, a Suzuki VStrom:

I picked up my ZX-6R on Tuesday, and haven’t had a chance to take a picture yet, been too busy either working or riding the new bike. I’m very impressed with the ZX-6 so far, and can’t wait to get it out to the track. I enjoyed the ’12, but it was like a bull in a china shop on a roadrace track. I will miss the 180+ hp at the wheel, though…

Anyway, enough for now. I see several posters from AZ, hope to see you at the track! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mikey: I bought the ZX-6 from Apache on Camelback. They had the best price going. Around $7500 OTD. They still had a black one and a red one left. I got the last silver.

dman: Yesterday was actually the first time I'd had a chance to really ride the bike, and I'm very impressed so far. The brakes are fantastic, and the handling is very confidence inspiring, although I found it to be very stiff at the rear.

Last night I set the sag, and found out the preload was totally whacked from the factory. The front was soft (like for a 150lb rider) and the rear was really cranked (like for a 250lb'er). I guess that's why it was bouncing me out of the seat! Also the rebound settings on the fork were different from side to side by a few clicks. The other thing it definitely needs is a steering damper, but I took the Scott's damper off the ZX-12, and have a bracket coming for the '6

I'll ride the same loop today, and see how it feels with the proper sag. And matching settings on the forks.

The only problem so far is a rear tire that is very slightly out of round. Anyone else experience this? I'm not much of a Bridgestone fan, but I was at least hoping to get some use out of them before switching to a trackday tire....

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Your comments about the front and rear stock settings echo the sentiments of just about EVERYBODY on this board. Get 'em dialed and watch your grin go ear to ear and stretch your helmet on rides... enjoy, and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Welcome to the board. Those are some really great pics too. I also envy you living in skull valley, there are some killer roads around there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy: The VStrom is prolly the best all-rounder I've ever owned (and I've owned a bunch of bikes!). The motor is just fantastic, good power, great torque spread. I've run it at a track day and had a great time going up the inside of some of the slower sportbikers, then motoring away while they were still trying to get the power on. :D I ran it at the drags and it went 12.00 @ 111. I've ridden it from AZ to Wisconsin and back, and will be riding it to North Carolina this fall. I've done a 1000 mile day on it. It's a great touring bike with the hard bags. My two major complaints have been the seat (stocker is good for ~100 miles - I put on a Corbin), and the wind management. There's a lot of turbulence at the helmet for average height riders with most of the windscreens out there for this bike. I think I've finally conquered that as well with some 'custom' cutting.

I haven't had it on dirt much, and when I did I was fully loaded on a steep downhill with loose gravel (that was fun [:0]), or in construction zones. It's really a street bike, but you can take it down dirt roads which makes it nice when you're touring and hit the unexpected, or want to take the road less travelled. I wouldn't take it OFF road at all, but there are folks that have. Check out the Adventure Riders forum: www.advrider.com
There's some cool stuff there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rodan: I find that my front tire is a bit out of round. I too have never been a huge fan of Flinstones, but when it comes time to change em it'll be between some Dunlop's or Michelin's.

Oh yeah, welcome.

Dano

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by Rodan

I see several posters from AZ, hope to see you at the track! :D
I am waiting on a jacket I ordered to come in and then I was thinking about hitting firebird one friday night. (I work about 10 minutes from it) Ill keep you posted if you are interested.

Squidly

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I much prefer Speedworld to Fireturd. For one, it's about 65 miles closer to me. Also, the people there are actually friendly, and there's a lot less wannabe POS import cars there (they're still there, just less of them...).

I'm intending to take the ZX6 out to see what it'll run, possibly next Wed or Fri at SW.

Remember, if you go faster than 120 mph in the 1/4, you need jacket and pants, and a kill tether. Also, you'll need a chain guard (a lot of guys take these off).

Hope to see you out there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.