Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body got the 411 on keeping these shields sweet, before, during, and after a ride. These things arent cheap and i dont wanna jack it up. I heard the scratch easy. Its for my suomy. Thanx !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know about the Suomy screens, but I have one on my Shoei that I haven't had any problems with. I just clean it with plexus before I go ride. Had it about 4 years now and it still looks new.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
+1 on the Plexus. DO NOT use window cleaner and or paper towels to clean it. That will ruin it in very short order. I use an old t-shirt and the Plexus. Heard the micro-fiber towels work good too. No problems with that at all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a spec1 extreme and I have that shield too.....All I do honesly is keep two soft terry cloth rags....I soak the one and just rest it on the shield when I get back from riding, that gets the bugs all soft a easy to remove and then just give it one good wipe, and then take the other terry cloth rag and just cry it really quick. Has served me good so far....

·
Registered
486 Posts
i have a mirror blue shield for my HJC....i just use a dish towel + warm water to clean it when i get home, microfiber cloth to dry it and make it shine..

·
Registered
945 Posts
I use a wet paper towel on mine and it hasnt hurt it. Ive heard from my dad that windex will ruin it almost instantly lol

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Wet paper towel will not hurt it... They do however only last a season or two though. They get pitted from road debris just like any other shield but you have to remember that the iridium coating is on the outside of the shield, so when debris hits the shield, it hits the coating first.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have one for my helmet. Clear for night driving and the Iridium for the day. All I use is a wet paper towel flicked in under the hot water tap for a second and wipe clean. Looks great except for the scratches occured when someone knocked it over on the ground.

·
Registered
56 Posts
are you sure the iriduim coating is on the outside?

I heard its the inside you only want to use water on..

I use honda polish on the outside
I have an Icon helmet,with the goldish tint sheild

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Quite sure its on the outside... at least on my Arai Corsair it is.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Go to Costco and get the spray window cleaner they have. No ammonia in it, and it is the best Sh*t I have found yet both for glass, and the shields and screens.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a Arai Astral X with the Chrome shield and the shield holds up well but if anything even knicks (sp) it you can definetly see it on the inside looking out. As for my shoei Rf1000 iridum shield is awesome had rocks straight up dink me in the face and don't have a scratch on it yet. As for cleaning warm paper towel and a little scrubbing to get the bug guts off :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ive had mine for over a season now no problems.. Also I have used windex never had any problems... Maybe just lucky? Usually use warm water though..[:p]

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Nothing but Honda Polish and Plexus touch my helmet and bike.

·
Registered
857 Posts
warm water and papertowel/cleanex/toiletpaper to get the bugs and grime off then just wipe it dry , ive had mine for 2 seasons still looks good...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.