Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '05 636 for about a week now and I love it.

I did notice (twice) that it was idling irregularly. Up and down. Not stalling out or going dead, but idling high-low-high-low from second to second. What's up with this?

Also noticed a slight high pitched noise a couple times, after riding and turning the bike off. Turned out to be the gas filler cap letting pressure bleed off I guess. I know that's what it was because when I opened the cap the pressure released and the noise stopped. Is this bleed off noise normal?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Was the bike hot or cold? cause after the bike warms up you can adjust the idle screw thingy under the left side of the seat to where its supposed to be idling at.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I believe most 6R's do the 'idle surging' especially after you put on an after market pipe.

Usually it smooths out after it gets warmed up. I believe it has something to do with the speed sensor.

Either way, it does not appear to be a sign of anything wrong, and a TB sync will NOT make it go away.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
yea i think tweakmon is right. mine does that now that i have the yosh pipe. most people i talk to who have our bike say the same thing. i usually turn my idle up a little bit anyway when i start it cold (i know, i'm impatient)

·
Registered
277 Posts
This bike already has a cold start loop in the EFI system. Turning up your idle is just putting undue stress on it. They all surge, tick, and whistle from the fuel tank. Gotta love a Kawi.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have an akra slip on and right when I start the bike the idle is pretty ruff. Like tweakmon said, after the bike gets warmed up, it is prettty smooth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Thanks guys. Now all I gotta worry about is that pesky 1st-2nd shift issue. I hope my gears aren't damaged because there is noticable clicking when going into gear near redline. The fault is probably some of mine and some of the bike's. I just hope it will smooth out once I get Factory Pro's kit (IF they ever release the damn shift kit for 05+)[:M7]

·
Registered
390 Posts
i think smething is damaged in my bike from 1-2 shifts. recently its been going into neutral a lot. i never shifted into neutral from first very often...only couple times in past. but its been happening more frequently now and also now im having trouble downshifting into first gear. it wont go into first at all and il lbe forced to stop in 2nd. then take off and next stop it usually goes into first but for whatever reason it wouldnt go into first and letting out the clutch a bit doesnt help.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I mentioned speed sensor, as no matter how hot or cold my bike is, as soon as I go about a mile down the road it smooths right out. Usually I let her warm up to 125+ but sometimes I don't, so the temp of the engine seems to make no difference for me.

Someone else wanna verify this for me over the next few days?? I'd like to see if we can narrow this down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just last week I had trouble starting my bike up after sitting for about a week (if it makes a difference).My first try the bike would not turn over at all, I was thinking maybe its the battery just becuase it sound so sluggish.I tried it again but this time gave it some throttle.It sound the same as the first time, but wanting to turn over , but still nothing.So after debating to try for the third time I just kept giving it gas for about 7 seconds it finally got it to start.It was running very rough at first(2 min or so),let it warm up to 140 deg.at this time it was at regular idol and tuned it off.Tryed again and started just fine,then took it to a kawi tech and told me it could have been a case of bad gas,could that have been the problem?It hasnt occured sence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.