Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a power commander and i was wondering if putting an air filter in would help out at all

·
Powerhungry
38,210 Posts
do a quick search. but i think the general concensus is that the stock filter flows VERY good. with the K&N you will get more intake sound, but not likely to see much if any performance difference.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
They're not expensive, but you'll most likely just make more noise with a K&N. But hey.. what's wrong with a little more noise? ;)

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by hokie636
it might drown out the ticking, if so go for it!
I'm all for that shit!!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
you might as well do a poll

·
Registered
601 Posts
Originally posted by Widowmaker55
Get the K&N if you like your bike sucking in ALOT of dirt.[xx(]
plus one you will find that after a kan filter you thorttle bodys will develope a nasty coat of dust.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've had a K&N in my 636 for the past 10K miles, cleaned and re-oiled it twice. The inside of my airbox and velocity stacks has always been super clean. The intake noise is somewhat louder too. But...if you have the stock filter with very low miles I'll trade you for my K&N (cleaned and oiled).

·
Registered
916 Posts
shit I think um at like 11 thousand clicks or so....why change back??

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, after talking to my neighbor who is in some specific school for mechanics, he explained why there is a screen on the back of the stock filter. It's purpose is to reduce the turbulence created inside the airbox from the high amount of air being force in at speed. In his class they dyno-test a lot of aftermarket parts for mostly Hondas like K&Ns, cold-air intakes and ram-air kits. He said a lot of these aftermarket kits actually produce less HP than stock in their tests. One of the tests they did was with a K&N, the ram-air kit and a huge fan being tunneled to the ram-air intake. Once they had the results the instructor talked about the turbulence, which was being created by air bouncing in and out the air filter and throughout the intake system. Then the instructor brought out a screen, which my neighbor said looked just like what's on the stock filter, and they installed it on the air filter. The new result on the dyno was higher HP because the air's turbulence was greatly reduced. So, if you don't beleive this and you want a K&N and you have a low miles stock filter, I'll trade :)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
K&N user for years, had one in all of my cars (5 of em that I can recall) and my last bike. Never had one single issue with any of them, including the rock crawler that I had that saw some of the worst air conditions you could throw at it (I've literaly scraped 1/4" of gunked up dirt off a K&N filter before, no effect on how the engine ran at all). Waiting for deleivery of the filter for the ZX. Proper oiling and they filter just as good as the BMC filters or stock filters. Cheaper than a BMC and unlike the stock filters, they are cleanable. I'll stick with K&N thankyouverymuch.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
The K&N filter left alot of grains in my coffee. . . . but seriously, my roommates keep thinking that my bike is faster cause of the filter, but i say it just cause black's the fastest color

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by joonyaboy
The K&N filter left alot of grains in my coffee. . . . but seriously, my roommates keep thinking that my bike is faster cause of the filter, but i say it just cause black's the fastest color
BLUE, you fool.. BLUE!!! Blue is the fastest.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.