Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POWER

With the Akrapovic SLIP-ON system you will not be getting just a visual enhancement of the motorcycle. Our system also increases the engine's power output throughout the entire rpm range. The growth is especially noticeable in the middle of the range from 5000 to 8600 rpm. It again increases at the upper end of the range from 12000 rpm right up to the redline, since the stock power starts to fade at 12400, while our system keeps pulling to nearly 14000 rpm, where max. increased power reaches 7.6 HP.

TORQUE

The torque also gets a boost with the installation of an Akrapovic SLIP-ON system. Torque is increased throughout the entire rpm range. The engine has a characteristic drop-out at 5600 rpm which is still visible with our system, although to a much lesser extent than with the stock system. However, the Akrapovic system totally levels the drop-out at 7800 rpm, which is right in the middle, most useful part of the rpm range. The increase of torque throughout the rpm range and the widening of the torque band offer the rider the ability to shift more smoothly without having to push into the higher end of the rpm range.

Any comments on this claim from Akrapovic's Web Site??

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just installed the akra full evolution system, with power commander on my 03 RR. its amazing the power difference. the bike seems like it just came alive. ill post pics tomorrow of the installation and final product:)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I would say the a slip-on is good for a minimal hp increase which a jet kit or Power Commander in the 1-2 hp range to a hp loss. Most of that is just sales hype.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
What are? Akrapovic's website power numbers? No, they are indeed claiming rear wheel hp numbers. The 107.8 stock hp they show for the 636 has been matched by Superbike magazine in their dyno charts, and on others as well. A 636 with a slip on dyno'd at 115 rwhp that several zx6r.com members witnessed. The crank hp would be well in excess of this amount.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I added my Micron slip-on for sound more than anything (didn't really care about HP gains if any) ... I want cagers to know I'm there as much as possible and, IMO, the 6R has substantially adequate power for me already.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
I have an Akra slip-on and I can assure you that sound & looks were the last thing in my mind when I purchased it. It has definitely enhanced the performance on my bike to a noticeable level. I feel the extra torque mostly in the mid-level RPM's and slightly on the top end. This without rejetting or other mods. Akra's are the best if you can afford them, I got lucky and got mine cheap.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by iroman

I have an Akra slip-on and I can assure you that sound & looks were the last thing in my mind when I purchased it. It has definitely enhanced the performance on my bike to a noticeable level. I feel the extra torque mostly in the mid-level RPM's and slightly on the top end. This without rejetting or other mods. Akra's are the best if you can afford them, I got lucky and got mine cheap.
Did you have to adjust your fuel mixture to feel the difference? My other bike is fuel injected so a power commander took the guess work out of tuning in the exhaust but now with this bike Im not sure if you need to toy with the carbs to make new exhaust perform.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The people ask for facts, not opinions. Seat-of-the-pants observations are subjective. Before-and-after dyno runs, same dyno location and conditions, provide data points. I believe most dyno software these days corrects to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J1349. Quote, “Correcting to SAE J1349 alters the data to make it seem as if it was taken when the atmospheric pressure was 29.23 in/hg., the temperature 77° F and the humidly zero.” Important stuff, for consistency.

Note most guys who actually tune bikes for a living, like Mr. Kyle, post "before" and "after" data. Start with stock bike, dyno to produce baseline dataset X(0). Add aftermarket parts 1 and 2. Dyno again, call the data X(1). Add more parts or modify engine. Dyno again, producing dataset X(2). Etc. Compare datasets X(1) and X(2) to X(0) to see what, if anything, changed.

Basic Scientific Method precepts, e.g.: objectivity of approach, consistent methods, reproducibility. The “Aftermarket Parts” folder thread “ZX636 Motor Development” might prove enlightening.

Dyno information isn’t necessarily the alpha and omega, but we all throw the data around like words from the Mount. At least using the same equipment both before and after provides consistency for comparison purposes.

-=DRB=-

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
DRB, you said a lot, but yet you said nothing. Sorry, but I'm not into doing Dyno's, if someone out there has that information and they want to share the it that is great but, there are many members that share their opinion from personal experience and that is valuable as well. And no, I didn't take your comment personally, I just think that many people on this board value the opinion of certain members (not to say I am one whose opinion is valued, I know very little when compared to a lot of the other members, but I try to help whenever possible).

DTM, No I did not have to adjust anything, although I think I might have to adjust the idle up a little. Normally, rejetting with a slip-on is not necessary, but could improve performance even more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just looking for data, man. Kinda hoping there might be some vast secret repository out there (lost elephant graveyard-style) to help me (and others) make non-subjective performance upgrade decisions.

Hope you enjoy yer setup, IM, and that's the truth :D

-=DRB=-

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
DRB, there are many people here that have the type of information you are looking for and are willing to share it with you. I have seen a lot of technical data posted in the past with regards to aftermarket exhausts and other issues. Running a search is always helpful when you have a question around here, you'll probably find tons of very helpful information that was already posted. I do value technical information, but I also value expert opinions and personal experiences as well. You just cannot rely on numbers only; technical information is important, but I also want to know if the exhaust sounds crappy or if it looks like shit. You are right though, technical information is of more value than opinions in most instances; what I have noticed though, is that a great majority of the people on this board bought their exhaust or want to buy an exhaust solely based on what it sounds like. I personally went for performance first, then looks and sound.

BTW, I do love my setup a lot, thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info fellow riders. Well I went with the full Ti Akra Evo system and power commander instead of a slip-on. It's already at my house but I can't install it until I get out of Iraq. Hopefully it won't be to cold to work on it.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well JR, I can promise you one thing... you will NOT be disappointed. In my most humble opinion, it's the finest exhaust on the market. The real secret won't be installing the hardware (honestly a novice can do it) but rather getting the PCIIIusb set up right. You could likely get a near-flawless download from www.powercommander.com, or a perfectly flawless setup done by having a good shop create a custom map for you on a dyno (which of course ain't free). Either way, you'll notice a huge boost in top end, better response, and a very significant loss of weight (some 12 pounds!). On top of that, it's (again, imho) the sexiest lookin' and sounding exhaust around. And best of all, you made a good decision going with the Evo over the Race... just something so sweet about the full ti pipes when they do the color change. Gratz mister!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey dj, I have a few questions. Do you know if I can use the race system map even though I have the Evo system? How much time (hours) will it take to install both items? Does your friend with the RR have the muffler bracket (sold seperately), that looks like raises the pipe height? Any assistance in these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You can buy a hanger off www.buykawasaki.com or from www.lockhartphillips.com, but I honestly don't think it affects the exit height since the pipe still bends the same way. The exhaust doesn't take long at all to mount, and if you've played around with taking off your gas tank and the connectors before, you'll have no trouble with the power commander. I'd estimate a couple hours - and both products come with decent instructions (you can download the instructions off www.powercommander.com too by the way in adobe format). The Race map will work just fine for the Evo system, since they're basically the same system just using different tube materials. I know there's been a few guys on this forum with RR's who had custom maps done for the Evo... try doing a search and contacting them (Wan2Fly is one) to see if they'll let you download their custom maps, can't hurt to ask. But if you can get the PC Race map, it'll likely be very close to spot-on if you're not into shelling out for the custom map.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.