Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ~ i have a question for you guys!! i was sitting on my bike and i can smell gas coming from the edge on the tank. is that normal??

·
Registered
857 Posts
were u moving the bike around at all if the tank swished around and gas is splashing ull smell gas even somtimes if its siting depending on ur sense of smell

·
Registered
578 Posts
No it's not normal to smell gas. Unless you just filled up and left the gas station. You shoudn't smell fuel at all just via sitting on the bike or riding. Make sure your cap is on right - make sure you don't have a gas leak.

·
Registered
703 Posts
make sure there is nothing strange going on with any of the tank vent hoses. you should definetly not smell gas near the cap, as it is sealed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
California bikes are sealed, the rest of us have tanks that vent to atmosphere and full power engines[}:)].

You really shouldn't smell gas unless the bike is in a small garage or a trailer. Because 49-state bikes don't have an evap canister, you could get into the situation where you fill the tank up, and then due to heat the gas expands and comes out the dump hose a little bit.

If the smell is slight and it goes away, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's really strong and persistent, I'd try to track it down (although with high-pressure EFI systems, gas leaks are a lot more obvious today than back in the days of carbs).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.