Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ride along Lane 1 of motorway with 5L jerry can on pillion. Drift onto hard shoulder when engine dies. Fill/start/go (to next petrol station).

I've often done this over the years with a new bike.

Anyone run dry & re-started on purpose or by mistake? Any gotchas with this machine?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

It is not recommended to run dry your bike or any other vehicle because this way you are putting extra stress to your fuel pump (and yourself!).

The fuel pump may overheat and seize to work. The best tactic is to refill as soon as the fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks & hi to you too! OK well that's a shame it's fun/interesting to do a real check but I'll choose to believe the manual this time in that case ;)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Thanks & hi to you too! OK well that's a shame it's fun/interesting to do a real check but I'll choose to believe the manual this time in that case ;)
My bike is much older spec but I can tell you that my record is 309 kms on B roads with fluid riding and medium load.

I do 140kph/90mph on the motorway and usually get around 260 kms of range.

City riding is the worst when it comes to fuel consumption but it's OK when combined with extra urban fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always found that the actual total capacity of a tank is slightly more than what the spec says, perhaps 1-2 litres difference. That is useful extra range if you know & are brave! The low fuel light is simply a fuel level indicator & not always consistent or accurate to the spec either. If I know I can ride for xxx km at xxx km/h before the bike stops that is useful on a long journey ?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have always found that the actual total capacity of a tank is slightly more than what the spec says, perhaps 1-2 litres difference.
Your not over filling the tank are you? You don't want to fill it completely to the top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally got round to doing this & it stopped after 190 miles of mixed roads (city/highway) & took exactly 15L to fill as directed by owners manual 😆

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ride along Lane 1 of motorway with 5L jerry can on pillion. Drift onto hard shoulder when engine dies. Fill/start/go (to next petrol station).

I've often done this over the years with a new bike.

Anyone run dry & re-started on purpose or by mistake? Any gotchas with this machine?

Cheers :)
TBH, you're better off just tracking miles over the course of multiple fillups. The more fillups you do, the more accurate the number will be, even if you just took it down to a quarter tank.

I definitely wouldn't do this with a fuel injected bike and probably not even a carbed bike unless I was on a road with no other traffic. Even then, I probably wouldn't do it, because the bottom of the tank has things that really shouldn't be going through the engine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well I finally got round to doing this & it stopped after 190 miles of mixed roads (city/highway) & took exactly 15L to fill as directed by owners manual 😆
Excellent, I don't think I've ever had a vehicle where the actual fuel efficiency seemed to match the manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True! + it's good to know it's actually 15L, I've usually managed to get 1-2L more than the book says into tanks before but not this one!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
43 Posts
My bike is much older spec but I can tell you that my record is 309 kms on B roads with fluid riding and medium load.

I do 140kph/90mph on the motorway and usually get around 260 kms of range.

City riding is the worst when it comes to fuel consumption but it's OK when combined with extra urban fun.
I genuinely thought my bike was terrible cos when riding hard the worst i got was 140 miles (225km) and usually i get 160 miles ( ~257km) Best ever for me was 189 miles (304km) and it only filled up 14.5L to the brim out of the 15.5L so i had another potential 10-15 miles. I guess this is usual then.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I genuinely thought my bike was terrible cos when riding hard the worst i got was 140 miles (225km) and usually i get 160 miles ( ~257km) Best ever for me was 189 miles (304km) and it only filled up 14.5L to the brim out of the 15.5L so i had another potential 10-15 miles. I guess this is usual then.
Spot on!

Don't forget that my bike was fully loaded with luggage for a week on the road and I didn't let it run out of petrol, so it could no doubt touch 350+ kms in ideal conditions.

My co-traveller's 2002 Fazer 600 has a 22 liter tank and most of the times he has to refuel first in the exact same riding conditions!

So our bike is rather brilliant than terrible when it comes to fuel consumption :)

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
43 Posts
It all depends on how smooth the rider is. Touring rides; sure. Weekend blasts might not be as economical
To be entirely honest i don't notice a difference unless I'm properly hammering it + city riding. I usually can't make my 200 mile trip from my University to my home in 1 tank but I've come damn close to it before. That said if i'm out on a spirited ride with some twisties even if a good section of getting to the twisties is highway or at least fast straight roads I get around the same, here is a picture of me recording fuel usage: miles from last fill up and liters filled (bike upright to the neck of the filler):

This is for a 2011 Model with DNA air filter, aftermarket system (Blackwidow/Scorpion), No tune and O2 + PAIR delete.
As you can see I got some really good ones like 13L for 160 miles and some really bad ones, like t he same 13.3L but for only 132 miles 😂

·
Registered
22 Posts
My light comes on around 165-170 on my 19'. My last fill was at 202 miles. That was 3.2 gallons, so I still had a ways to go I guess. I believe the dash said I had approximately 49 more miles to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts