Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...today was riding along the beach in traffic and had my helmet visor up since the speed was literally 5 mph or less with frequent stops. I see bunch of state cops on a side of the road and 1 of them points at me shoving pull up. Then he tells me I have no eye protection. I say I'm in traffic stoped and stuff...He asks for my reg. and license and goes to his car. Couple minutes later he hands me a citation for no eye protection. It's $35 and I'm soooo pissed for bulshit like that!!! Of course it's not about the money, but I don't feel like paying it at all. I always put my visor down at speeds of 15 mph and up.
What do you guys think, is it possible to fight and win this ticket in court? Anybody had the same ticket? He did not give me to sign it, is that considered as a mistake? He did not say anything about my rights, court stuff...etc. when handing over the ticket to me. Do you guys think I can win this bullcrap ticket? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
your SOL, unless you were in the parking lot then you can say that the bike was not moving and the motor was off, but if you are in traffic and the motor was running you need eye protection, you can also try to ask the judge for a break.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tell them u put your visor up becuase you knew they were going to talk to u and it makes it easyier to hear them and talk back with it up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
just write a judge and tell hime exactly what you just said. hot, slow traffic, and no danger. also put something about you firmly believe in following all traffic laws and always ride with it down when you are actually MOVING. find a nice judge

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm....I was gonna say a little fly got inside through the vents and I was trying to get it out and opened the visor lol, but maybe what cheetahflyer said is better [:M74]

·
Registered
442 Posts
look up the law. in michigan, you dont need eye protection till 30mph or some shit.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Some good suggestions there, I would pick one of them and stick with it.

I almost got a ticket for the same thing by an absolute anti-motorcycle cop, I know because I have seen him pull over other bikes and I've heard about him from other cops. The guy is a royal prick.

I got out of the eye protection ticket with a pba card, but I recently got one for my vertical swing arm plate mount, and I'm going to fight that. It's not the most important thing they are dealing with all day, if you are polite and dress appropiate I bet they will be in your favor. Let us know how it goes for you, and on Sep 12 I'll let you know how my first court excursion over my first ticket goes.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,465 Posts

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
go to court - judge might cut you a break, esp. if your record isn't a rap sheet a mile long...nothing to lose by trying.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
with it being $35 he'll prolly tell u to pay and get the hell outa his courtroom lol. but a suggestion is where sunglasses. i keep 2 pair, 1 for day and 1 for night. that way i can pull my visor up and no worries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't say that the reason why your visor was up was becuase it was hot and there was no danger. Being uncomfortable is not a reason to break the law. Plus by saying that you are admitting to breaking the law. I would make up an excuse. Something like it was so hot that the visor was fogged up very badly that you couldn't see anything and you would have put yourself as well as others in danger if you didn't put it up. Then tell the judge that you bought a new anit fog visor and that the problem has been resolved and it will never happen again. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not even sure if it's required in MA to have eye protection if you have a license and not a permit. Might want to check into that.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Any punk riding a crotch rocket deserves a ticket. If not for eye protection, then for something else. Maybe if you were on a harley with a wife beater and an eggshell helmet the cop would have just waved.

Just pay the ticket and forget about it. You can thank the squids for the rest of use being treated like this. It'll never change.[V]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by warbuk
with it being $35 he'll prolly tell u to pay and get the hell outa his courtroom lol. but a suggestion is where sunglasses. i keep 2 pair, 1 for day and 1 for night. that way i can pull my visor up and no worries.

If you want to be technical, that is supposed to be illegal as well. You are supposed to have some sort of goggle type of eye protection that completely encloses your eye so that dust and sand can't get in, which they can with any regular pair of sunglasses. But, then again, you can pass 792 cops who wouldn't give a shit and then run across the disgrunted 793 cop who hasn't gotten laid in three months, and get pulled over for it. There's no consistancy to it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Actually the windshield fogging up is probably your best excuse. Just say you weren't moving fast enough to get any air in your helmet and it fogged up. Say you have since bought some anti fog for the problem. You never know he might cut you a break, but for only $35 I doubt it

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also thanks to monstermack. I found this on AMA simple laws website for motorcycles in MA:

EYE PROTECTION: "REQUIRED BY LAW FOR INSTRUCTIONAL PERMIT HOLDERS UNLESS EQUIPPED WITH WINDSCREEN"

Does this mean that only with permit eye prot. is required? I have M endorsement. Also our bikes have windscreen right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.