Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember reading in one of the threads that the 00-02 zx6r rear shocks are better than the zzr600 (J4 and above) models. if so what is the issue with the shocks? is the quality of build bad? are there any more commom problems with the ZZRs?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have my eyes on an 07 zzr for next year so i've done some reading. The press universally bashes the damping of the rear shock, saying it has almost no rebound damping. They guess it's a cost saving measure to support the low price, and/or trying to make the bike more comfortable for touring duty. Either way, i'll be switching my zzr to zx6r suspension, which always got good reveiws.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats exactly what i heard about the shocks! i dont know how much of what i read in the books is absolutely true. i would like to hear from anybody from personal experience.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
Sportrider did a write up on this. The 00-02 shock is a racing model and more expensive than the ZZR models. Seems like Kaw cheaped out on the front forks too.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Check the Kawi website for part numbers. Its also likely that the standard is just that much higher these days....what was good 4 years ago is garbage by today's standards. The shock is still of the same construction, as is the fork....to make it with "crappy" damping doesn't save any money. Or, it was a marketing decision...make the ZZR feel like a grocery getter so enthusiasts will be the more priey zx6r...capitalism at its finest.

The 2000 had revised front and rear suspension over the 98/99. Rear spring got stiffer for sure...not sure what they did with the damping.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't seen any convincing information to prove that there is any difference between the current ZZRs and the 00-02 ZX6Rs.

Take a look at the Recommended Suspension Settings Guide from Sport Rider magazine.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_suspension_settings/index5.html

The recommended rebound damping setting for the shock of the 2000 & 2001 ZX6R and for the 2006 ZZR600 are the same. They recommend full stiff for all three bikes.

I recently attended a suspension workshop given by a long-time racer. We used a 2003 or 2004 Yamaha R6 as a demo and ended up setting the front rebound at full stiff. This is not a good situation, but for whatever reason, manufacturers seem to make poor choices.

You either live with it, or have it rebuilt, or get a Penske or Ohlins.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I checked (I work at a kawi dealer and we're pretty slow). The zzr shock is a different part number from the 00-02 zx6r shock, though that does not tell what the difference really is. Also, the fork is made of the identical parts, with the exception of the coil springs and the cap on top. Again, dont know what the differnce is, just that they are not the same part.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
i have also posted befor about the front & rear shock. the front outside is the same but the inside are not 6r oil and springs and the rear jest looks like one but is not a 6r shock and that came from a kawi dealer 2

·
Registered
939 Posts
what made me think they are different is when i was looking into rebuilding my front forks.
on racetech.com the zzr600 has more upgrades available compared to the 02 zx6r

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow! i am glad i started this thread now! i have two rear shocks from the 00-02 model which i was planning on listing on the classifieds. maybe i could get some zzr owners to buy them. keep those differences coming!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Save your money, I went that route and noticed no difference. I finally broke down and bought an Elka. It was well worth the money. I like the stock front forks, though. I'll keep those until they wear out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ive spent hrs trying different settings, from sportriders to my own liking. If you live in the LA area you know how bad the roads and freeways are. If you do alot of track days and have smooth roads the race suspension will be good. If you commute 50% and sport ride on poor roads, I think the softer dampning is the best set-up. Just something to consider before you buy a 750+ rear shock or go rebuilding your forks. Remember the best track settings will beat you to death on poor bumpy medium speed roads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.