1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys wasup

I am looking for a used 99 zx6r and one of my friend

said that if the mileage is over than 7000 you don't know when the

engine is going to stop so don't buy ones over 7000.

Is it true?? that motorcycle engine almost dies if it runs more than

7000? please help me out ~ thank you~

oh! and how much do you think I should pay for a 99 zx6r with 7000

mileage on it??

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
if you believe him, yeah its true.*sarcasm off*

obviously your friend dont know that much about motorcycle engines. good price for that bike would be about $3500-$4000 in good shape.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
It's not rare to find 6R's with 100,000 miles on them and still going. Just like everything, it depends on how it was treated and cared for. But even then, I find it hard to believe one would crap out by 7K unless it was B-E-A-T on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Motorcycles are not like they use to be. I can remember when 3500 miles on a bike was way too many and you shouldn't buy it. Nowadays 7000 miles is nothing. That's normal mileage on a one year old bike. Just check the bike out. If your worried have a compression check and a leak down check done. That will tell you what kind of shape the motor is in. Just use you best judgement.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
my 03 has 7,500 km in one short ass northern season and that was without any travelling. Next summer I have some great mountain trips in the works so I'm sure I'll have at least 20,000 Km on her. I don't think I'll trade it in until I put at least 40k on her. I am a keener when it comes to maintainence so I am not worried about having problems.

BTW what do y'all think about extended warranties?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
My ZX-6r is one of those with over 100,000 miles on it. Nothing has needed replacing in the engine and it still runs great.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Of course it's true. Its a 6. That means after 6k it's useless:D
(tell your friend to stay away from drugs)

·
Registered
100 Posts
if thats true i'm screwed my 03 has 6900 miles on it but the truth is that most bikes don't live to see high milege because most get wrecked. my buddys r6 had 15,000 miles on it when he totaled it now his r1 has 6,000 miles on it and thats after 4 months

·
Registered
128 Posts
Crikey!!! [:p] My '96 6r is almost cracked the 80,000 km barrier. I have put almost 35,000 km's in a year and half. Going by your mates theory my bike should have been scarped yonks ago, but it still starts 1st go every morning and runs strong all day. :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
One year at Keith Code the school's bike had 15,000 miles on it (most had similar mileage). These bikes are only ridden on the track by many different people. They ran and handled perfectly fine.

In today's world 7,000 miles is nothing to worry about. This of course assumes the bike was reasonably maintained.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
My '02 has 7200 miles on it and runs better than the day I bought it. Don't believe everything you hear. On a motorcycle 7,000 miles is just broken in. I know a guy with a Moto Guzzi with 178,000 miles on it and it can't be killed. If you ask me, I think motorcycle engines are built better than car engines.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you do believe it, I have some ocean front property I want to sell you...
;)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
True, I bought my 2001 with 8333 miles on the odometer last May. I am now pushing 14,000 miles and the bike is still loving me long time..

Also something to consider,
I bought my 2001 with 8333 miles for $3700...keep your eyes open for great deals ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.