Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99' does the same thing? Never just let it go to see how bad it would get, but under moderate engine braking the handle bars would wobble back and forth enough to make me really uncomfortable to remove my hands from the handle bars. As far as a resolution to your problem, [?] don't have one. I just thought I would let you know that your not the only person with that problem.

------

Go Green or go some where else!

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Andy, I have the '02 as well and from day one I noticed that my ride was very jumpy from the front. Your problem sounds unusual, I really don't think it's normal. I was nervous to let go of the handlebars fearing the same, but I have done so now on several ocassions and nothing has happened. I've been wanting to mess with the suspension settings, but I am still not sure where to set them for my weight (220 lbs). I would suggest to remove the triple clamp and reinstall it to see if you notice any difference. That could definitely do it. You might have to invest in a damper if the problem persists.

------

Irv Roman

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think something is wrong w/ your front end man.. I regularly let go of the handlebars and don't get a "wobble" of any kind.
When did you buy it? Warranty?
If not you may wanna do a few things.
Have the front tire blalnced, check the distances the forks rise into the triple clamps with a calliper, lift the tire and make sure it spins relatively freely, zip tie a marker on the forks pointing at the rim and see if the marker marks the rim unevenly. Could be your tire too.
You don't feel it at all when you are holding the bars?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Is the top of the fork tube flush with the top tripple clamp?"

I have my upper triple clamp as far down as it goes...might have a centimeter of the fork tubes above the triple clamp. I also made them flush and the same thing happens.

The bike feels absolutly fine when I'm holding the bars, Heck I can even ride with one hand and the bars do not feel like they are moving at all. Feel very stable...

I'm very reluctant to think its a wheel issue since the bike doesn't not do this under any type of acceleration. Like I said above, it only does this when I get some engine drag and it's more pronounced going down a hill or something when the engine is really dragging. As soon as I give it some throttle to hold at constant speed the bars smooth out and stop shaking...

The bike from day one seems to want to pull to the right slightly. The dealer said they found nothing worong with the bike when I told them about it. Think my rear wheel alightment might be off? think this would cause the bikes front end to jitter under engine braking?

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I have a 2002 ZX-6R and it seems like the front ends whats to automatically go into a tank slapper if I let go of the handle bars at speeds above 40 mph.

It seems to only do this when I have any kind of engine braking happening. If I'm just on the gas slightly it doesn't do this and the front end tracks fine.

I havene't verified if it will do a full lock tank slapper ofcourse if left unattended, but I was wondering if this is common?

Any ideas? I just stated noticing this. I think my old ex500 would do the same thing under engine braking, but not as bad. The handles would shake side to side really fast if left unattended and the bike had any type of engine braking. But it would never get any worse then a slight side to side motion.

tire balance problem? alignment issue?

The only thing I did to the bike recently was I change the handlebars which forced me to remove the upper triple clamp. Could this cuase a fork twist if the upper clamp isn't on properly? I tried to eye it up to make sure it's on straight. If you think this is a problem how can I make sure it's on completely straight besides "eyeballing" it?

------

·
Registered
138 Posts
You could get a long string and check the rear alignmet. When my rear was a little crooked, it would only pull slightly with no hands and I'd have to move my butt to one side, Never wobble.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I want to make it clear that my bike dones't physically wobble....

the handlebars with shake extremely fast back and forth under engine braking...the bike itself nevers wobbles....

thanks for all the posts so far guys, you are giving me ideas...

------

·
Registered
89 Posts
i noticed that when im not holding th clip-ons the front tends to shake on my 01'.

i would say its normal, i think its due to the lack of load on the front end. (ie. your body weight holding the front down) try this, on your next ride get up to the speed where you notice the head shake. then try leaning over the tank w/o grabing the clip-ons & see if it settles the front end down a little bit. if it does thats whats going on, if not then you may also want to make sure the front tire is balanced properly.

/forum/uploads/jerky808/104-0437_img.jpg

------

"TEARS will get you sympathy,
SWEAT will get you change"

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
thanks jerky, I'll try it tonight on my ride home...

I'm getting new tires soon as well so I'll make sure they are balance properly...

------

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it's a tire issue. Nobody here posted what tires they are running. When I had my TL1000 I went from the stock metzler to the "new" D207's and noticed the same thing. The dunlops are a pointier profile and tend to do that. The Tl came with a stock damper too.

It might be worth checking your stearing stem nuts for tightness. You can get a feel for that by holding the front brake then try to rock the bike back and forth real hard. Listen for a clicking noice and feeling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did have something similar on my EX500. I never solved the problem before trading it in, but the front tire was wasted. I'd check both tires for wear and correct pressure.

On my '02 6R I've never experienced any kind of wobble. I've had D207's, BT010's and M1's and all were fine.

------

Red
AMA #439394

·
Registered
284 Posts
I frequently sit back with my hands off the bars under engine braking and have absolutely no wobble, jitter, or vibration. Even with Pilot Sports, which some people say are wobble-prone.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Andy,heres what you do. rase the front of your bike up and grab the forks and push and pull on then to see if you have any play in the straring head.if there is then loosen the big bolt on the tripple clamp,i think its a 32mm and tighten the head up.U do this by getting a s/driver and tapping the threaded spaser under the t/clamp,clock wise.front end up,if you want to set you forks right,u need to loosen one of the forks and the front axel.then push up or down on the loose leg to where the axel slides SMOOTHLY between the 2 fork legs.i know it sound strange but this is how you do it.I learned it from GMD comutrack of atlanta.what have you done to the back of the bike latly????? B.

------

Thanks B.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree that it could be the tires, when I had Battlax tires they never squirmed, but since I got my Sportecs they do alittle. The tread coming more up onto the centerline probably has alot to do with it but it certainly hasn't been tankslapper material. I roll up to the same dead intersection on the way to work everyday without hands on grips and never felt like I was gonna lose it.

------

97 Candy Persimmon Red
Wileyco Pipe
Factory 1.7 jets, Ign. Adv.
Cheetah Racing Solotail

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have an 02 and sometimes i get the same feling. but i have to get some real speed b4 it happens. did you recently switch from a 120/65 to a 120/60? i did and it has caused problems. the bike turns in way faster but at speeds it shakes a little. it kind of wants to fall in to turns now. i think it is caused by the load now on the front. if you raise your rear or drop your front you load the front tire more and that will makie it do things like this. try the rear wheel alignment too and let me know how you did it after youre done.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'm running the OEM D207 tires and they are in sorta bad shape (got over 5000 miles on them). And come to think of it, my ex500 tires were in bad shape too when they did it.

So I think you guys might be on to something....

I'll be going to a BT010/BT020 combo shortly and I'll wont worry too much about the bike until I can rule out bad tires.

------

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

I'm running the OEM D207 tires and they are in sorta bad shape (got over 5000 miles on them). And come to think of it, my ex500 tires were in bad shape too when they did it.

So I think you guys might be on to something....

I'll be going to a BT010/BT020 combo shortly and I'll wont worry too much about the bike until I can rule out bad tires.

------

I'd be willing to bet that's what the problem is. When the 207's are toast, they tend to introcuce a lot of shake into the front end (in my exp). My 207's didn't have the mileage you got, but after track school they were garbage. They still had life in em (tread life), but they were never the same after the track abuse. It was really hot, and 2 days long. Plus they already had a few thousand KM's on em. After that, I couldn't ride on any type oif bumpy road at all with much speed. Sounds like you're just statring to reah that point maybe???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.