Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bike: 2006 ZZR 600 - Bone Stock, with 2600 miles on it.

What first got me curious was passing a permanent radar by a school zone which seemed pretty accurate with my car but on my bike I was off by like 5-7MPH[:M37]

So I was riding last night and decided to go on the highway. I'm in the fast lane and next to me (middle lane) pulls up one of those new civics with the high mounted digital speedometer where you can clearly tell how fast they are going (great for cops). So anyway, I'm in top gear (6'th) and doing exactly 6,000 RPM and decided to check how my speed is compared to his. I kept with him for a good minute and kept comparing our speeds - at 6000 RPM, in 6'th gear - my bike says I'm doing 75 MPH, this civic said that we were doing 70MPH [:M99]

So the questions:
Can someone please check what their bike says they are doing at 6,000 RPM in 6'th gear? Please let me know.
Do I have a defective speedometer?
Would the dealer replace it?
How in the world do I go about proving that it is defective/not accurate?
Is there a fix for this I can do myself? An adjustment of any sort?

Please advise...

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
840 Posts
The controversy surrounding the new R6 and its "generous" tachometer prompted an article in Motorcyclist or Cycle World or Sport Rider where they showed that a 5-7% margin of error is acceptable to motorcycle manufacturers. And, from what I gather, your tach and speedo readings only get worse the righer in the range they get. For example, your gauges will show more of an error at 70 mph than they will at 30 mph. And the same goes for 12k on the tach vs. 3k. Nothing is wrong with your gauges, that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sure that wasnt the civics tach almost hitting redline at 7k...only kidding. I know that marginal errors are ok but the problem with the r6 is the advertising they did with the 17k redline. Thats what the article you are talking about entailed. I think it was something like 16.5k redline which is still high but when the advertising section of the company took hold and ran with the 17k and pushed it so hard then its there that the company was at fault. Also Yamaha said they would buy back bikes, quite a bold statement of apology if you ask me. I know my bikes off by like 15mph (trap speed on timeslip = 119 my speedometer = 129/130, however i have sprockets and no correction kit installed. I dont think i really answered any question of yours in this post, but i thought it was good info.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys!

Good replies by all. Very informed population on this board. I appreciate and respect the vast knowledge base we have here. I hope to be able to contribute to it one day. Maybe I can refer someone to this post someday if I see the question being asked.

Thanks again,

Dan[:M86]

·
Registered
891 Posts
Im pretty sure that they're generous speedo readings are to cover their asses in the result of a law suit because someone had an accident at a high speed and the bike failed to convey the proper speed.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nothing wrong with your gauges. Also it gets worse with tire wear. I did find a "generous" radar trailer on I4 leaving Daytona that said 62 when my speedo read 60. New tires? Also my local motors cop yelled at me for going "23" in a 15. My speedo read 18. Go figure. 6,000 in 6th is 74ish on my speedo. A speedo healer will correct the issue if it bugs you that much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the same boat with my bike. Looking into a Speedo healer for $90.00 to correct. The thing I thnik that sucks about the over reporting is it is not accurate mileageon the odometer either. what if you put a speedo healer on and retard it to show slower for a year worht of riding to get the miles more accurate? LOL

·
Registered
624 Posts
Originally posted by bcook
In the same boat with my bike. Looking into a Speedo healer for $90.00 to correct. The thing I thnik that sucks about the over reporting is it is not accurate mileageon the odometer either. what if you put a speedo healer on and retard it to show slower for a year worht of riding to get the miles more accurate? LOL
According to Freebird on this forum and speedohealer website, speedohealer will correct the odometer.

In my opinion it's well worth getting speedohealer, for $89. I have -1 front sprocket and had to slow down the speedo by 12.5%. Now it's spon on correct. Really recommend it, very easy installation, and you can also recall your top speed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.